Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Singapore Orchid Notes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2125 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2019  1:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked up a coin collection from a local estate that included an envelope with some world notes. These Singapore Orchid notes appear to be the best of the lot. I'm not a note collector but my research indicates they are worth at least face value and possibly more depending on condition. These are circulated and show more than one signature. I've included a group picture, a picture of the $1 note, and pictures of 2 of the $10 notes with different signatures. Any information would be appreciated.

Valued Member
Canada
293 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2019  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been collecting Singapore notes for a few years. You have the notes from the first series after independence. The fractional numbers increase first and then the serial number. So the A/63 note is older than the A/76 note. These are Pick-3a and Pick 3b.

http://banknote.ws/COLLECTION/count.../SIN0003.htm

There is something strange about the 3b note. It is MISSING the red seal which should be next to the signature. Now I don't have Tan's catalog of Singapore notes so I don't know if this is an error or if this is a unlisted note in the Pick catalog. There are listing errors in the Pick catalog.

I have not seen this variety before and it is missing from my collection 3a-3d. It is also strange that you have 4 different serial numbered notes without the red seal.

I have see fake errors where the seal has been removed. I would double check the watermark and the feel of the paper.
Edited by ShareBear
02/09/2019 11:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2125 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information and the link. When held up to a light I can see what looks like a security thread on the right half of the note and a lion head watermark in the circle area on the left. The 3b notes have the red seal to the right of the signature but for some reason the seals are so faded that they didn't show in the pictures. Could these be attempts at removing the seal? Although some are more faded than others all of the seals can be seen in hand. Any idea on value?
Valued Member
Canada
293 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The security thread and watermark are a good sign. I believe the notes are real. The faded/missing seal is a bit of a problem. In VF condition which is what the notes look like they are these are about $40US. However since the seal is faded to the point that they cannot be seen I believe that the notes have been chemically washed. This lowers their value to about $20US each. If you state "as is" I am sure you will get that price.

If you shine a UV light on these notes I am sure you will see blotches where the notes have acetone or other chemicals used to clean the notes.

Remember Singapore is a tropical country and in the 1970s it was still undeveloped. Lots of humidity, rain and dirt. I would not expect notes to be this clean. I was assuming that someone had brought them to the US and put them away as soon as they got them in the 1970s. It does not look like that's the case.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9791 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice notes. That orchid design is pleasing to the eye.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice group!
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05