Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Counterfeit 1893-S Morgan In A Fake PCGS Holder?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the clearest indication that this is a counterfeit slab is that the font is wrong. That seems to be the case for a lot of these fake slabs.
Learn More...
United States
16990 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've reported it where it will actually get removed.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8660 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've reported it where it will actually get removed.

Member SSDC
Learn More...
United States
16990 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's been removed.

Seller was jb5821.
Pillar of the Community
844 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add g048406 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The simplest way to determine that this was a FAKE PCGS holder was by using a barcode reader. The certification numbers on the PCGS holder do not match-up with the barcode. If you don't have a barcode reader, you can decifer the barcode yourself using the site:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interleaved_2_of_5

or just google 'barcode reader' and download an app, they're free and easy to use. PCGS has a free one as well.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11407 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  01:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They should really take pics of everything they put in a slab. It cant cost them that much. IMHO

New equipment, a couple full time employees, it would cost more than you think. More importantly it would slow down the turn around time if they didn't spend enough on it.

That said they've already said they're looking into picturing everything
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14981 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They should really take pics of everything they put in a slab. It cant cost them that much. IMHO

It should definitely be possible, NGC has been doing so for over 10 years.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11407 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

It should definitely be possible, NGC has been doing so for over 10 years.

It is a little more complicated for PCGS than it was for NGC though. They have to do it in a way to not render the Gold Shield and TrueView services obsolete.

That said, if picturing every coin meant that you no longer had to use the Gold Shield service for all tiers of world coins except for moderns, they likely would see an increase in world coin submissions especially on the economy tier.

Learn More...
United States
66597 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They have to do it in a way to not render the Gold Shield and TrueView services obsolete.
They could use a lower resolution like NGC, but that could still affect premium service sales.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3373 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GONE .... for now!
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sumausa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everybody for getting it flagged!

I hope my post was helpful.

It's OUR Coin Community, and only we can defend it from fraud!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2531 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  01:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But the phony coin/slab is still out there, awaiting the next victim. The owner doesn't care who he sells it to, or under what circumstances. In a way, Ebay is potentially contributing to furtherance of a fraud by not reporting to "authorities", but I doubt that they care.

Edited by jimbucks
02/12/2019 01:38 am
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sumausa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I did what I could. It took over two hours to make those Photoshop comparison photos. I'm lucky I even spotted the ad in the first place. I'm sorry I couldn't put handcuffs on the guy and put him in jail, I only did what I could.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11407 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They could use a lower resolution like NGC, but that could still affect premium service sales.

It's kind of funny they have to figure out how to make their pictures worse for it. The international offices do full slab pics, some lower resolution version of that would probably be the answer.

I can certainly understand why they're taking their time to think it through since once they start doing it you can't really go back to the old way
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14981 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2019  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ten years is a long time to think about it.
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05