Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Titus Denarius Completes My 3RD 12 Caesars Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1172 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  2:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just bought this Titus. On first glance it is nothing too special. It is a very common coin for Titus. However, take a closer look at the reverse. Underneath the triangular frame is a lituus. This turns out to be a rare variant of RIC 124. This type was carried over into the first issue of Domitian's coinage. RIC 3 for Domitian shows the pulvinar with the triangular frame. It is a rare coin but also has with a rare variant, a lituus under the frame. I have both of these for Domitian. For some time I have wanted the Titus variant.

According to a friend on his forum gallery pages, there are 3 known varieties of the lituus type for Titus. One has 3 palmettes, one has five, and one has nine. Mine is the type with nine palmettes. This makes my coin RIC 124C in the yet to be published addendum to RIC II Part 1.

This is a worn but still pleasing coin imho. I am very happy to add this one to my collection.

As an added bonus this coin completes my 3rd 12 Caesars set.

Please show your coins of Titus.

Titus AR Denarius. Rome Mint
79-81 CE
(17 mm 3.15 g)
Obv: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M, laureate head right
Rev:TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P, draped processional chair, triangular frame by decorated with nine Palmattes Lituus under triangular frame.
RIC 124C (in the as yet unpublished addendum to RIC II Part 1)
Ex: Savoca 16thBlue auction Lot 978 February 10, 2019

and here is my completed 3rd set of the 12 Caesars

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10754 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no Titus in my (very small) Roman collection, but I still wanted to congratulate you on your third set of the 12 emperors. What's next?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
22228 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow a third set!, I never complete my first. Congrats.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1172 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the kind comments. As for what is next, I will probably send some time upgrading and adding interesting examples. I am seriously thinking of narrowing my collection to the 12 Caesars only and selling the rest of my collection at auction. A purge is good once in a while.
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still trying to complete my first set. Congrats!

Well I bought this awhile back ago as an unidentified Roman, thinking it was Vespasian. But after further examination, I've come to the conclusion that it is Titus- Although the "T" is not really visible on the legend, the space before the "C" has me fairly convinced.

Also, I can see an "O" on the reverse, which could represent "PONTIF TRI POT" on the reverse, I don't see that for Vespasian.

So the closest I come up with is:

Titus Denarius. T CAES IMP VESP CENS, laureate head right / PONTIF TRI POT, Titus seated right, holding branch & sceptre.

Am I correct

Pillar of the Community
United States
4124 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three 12-Caesars sets. Remarkable. Congrats, Andrew!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1172 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Travelcoin

Your coin is RIC II Part 1 556 on page 99. The obverse reads T CAES IMP VESP CENS. The reverse reads PONTIF TRI POT. RIC rates the coin as common.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1172 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the kind words Bob, much appreciated.
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Andrew for the reply and your wisdom
Edited by travelcoin
02/10/2019 7:08 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05