Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

King Philip III Of France

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
22228 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  4:18 pm Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well I couldn't help myself so I bought another French coin.

Philip III The Bold
1245-1285
King of France 1270-1285
From the House of Capet

BI Denier Tournois
18.8mm x 1.0g
DY 204
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_III_of_France
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1280 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another very nice looking coin Ron!

I'm not into shiny so these lovely 2 tone coins you've been buying are very appealing....

We've had 'The Bold'..'The Fat'...'The Amorous'...The beloved and the Mad'....What other names did the French use?

Nice addition ...Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
4124 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another excellent pick-up, Ron. Thanks for sharing.
Learn More...
United States
22228 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the Capetian dynasty there was:

Robert II, The pious, the Wise
Philip I, The Amorous
Louis VI, The Fat
Louis VII, The Young
Philip II, The Augustus
Louis VIII, The Lion
Louis IX, The Saint
Philip III, The Bold
Philip IV The Fair
Louis X, The Quarreler
John I, The Poshumous
Philip V, The Tall
Charles IV, The Fair

Only Hugh Capet and Henry didn't have any nickname.

Thanks for the comments.
Learn More...
United States
22228 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Question: The seller uses the reference for these coins as DY. Can someone tell me what that is?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1816 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numista uses the abbreviation Dy for Duplessy: Monnaies franšaises royales by Jean Duplessy (Maison Platt). Some auction houses use Dup. for this reference (confusing!)

Based on the few medieval French royals I have had (and now sold), I think this is the standard reference.

For feudal France, I think @spence can advise on refernces, including Roberts.

Edited by tdziemia
02/10/2019 8:03 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10754 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep I have a couple sets of books on medieval French coins by Duplessy:

1. Les Monnaies Francaises Feodales (2 volumes)
2. Les Monnaies Francaises Royales (2 volumes)

The books of royal issues show coins in chronological order while the feudal issues are first broken down by municipality. This would be fine except that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to the order of the various states (e.g. they aren't in alphabetical order).

For this royal issue of Phillip III, I agree with the attribution of Dup 204. Ron, your coin has nicely clear legends, but just in case you have any questions, the obv legend is + PHILIPVS REX while the rev legend is + TVRONVS CIVIS.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1172 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Ron, that is a beauty! Nice readable legends.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
United States
1816 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2019  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to the order of the various states

Since you mention that, I've noticed that the Elsen and (I think) Kunker auctions (and maybe others) list the feudal French states in non-alphabetical order as well, perhaps aligning with the Duplessy order?. Since Lorraine is always farther back than their alphabetical order would warrant, I've wondered if the order has to do with date that coinage either began or ended as an entity independent from the French crown. Lorraine wasn't fully wrapped into France until the mid-1700s and issued coins under the authority of the Duke of Lorraine as late as 1736.
Learn More...
United States
22228 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  01:36 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information on the reference and the legend. I agree this one does have a readable legend though I have to get use to the font style.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1280 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  02:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
though I have to get use to the font style.

Me too...Ron I found this page its quite interesting and might help...It did for me....Your coins mint city + TVRONVS CIVIS. is mentioned in the reverse legend section and it also gives a decent breakdown of some of the more obscure letters such as the P etc..

http://www.chicagocoinclub.org/proj...PiN/mec.html
Learn More...
United States
22228 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2019  02:15 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Paul, I copied it to my coin files and will read it in the morning.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05