Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 West Point Premium Penny

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 219 / Views: 20,665Next Topic
Page: of 15
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2019  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've heard about the hunt, but it isn't covering all of America. If the Mint distributed some newly minted rarities it might generate a little interest and cover more areas. From what I have seen, I would have to travel 90 miles to a city where there might be an old coin in circulation. Not feasible, but if a new, rare coin should show up in my change with a special mint mark, or edge lettering, or reverse enhanced look, that no one knew about, that would be cool.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2019  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've heard about the hunt, but it isn't covering all of America.

It'll mostly be culls and wheat cents they have no market for anyway. Great way to get publicity out of dead inventory

Pillar of the Community
United States
1222 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2019  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great way to get publicity out of dead inventory

To me, that's the point of the hunt. It's publicity plus the opportunity to maybe get some new folks interested in collecting. It may not be dead inventory to a new collector

Quote:
If the Mint distributed some newly minted rarities...

I just don't see this happening. Anything the Mint makes for circulation won't be rare and it's not their mission to distribute into circulation anything that is a limited mintage collector coin.

I could see the Mint putting out a few million S mint cents and calling them rare because they haven't been made for circulation for a good while
Pillar of the Community
United States
999 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2019  10:23 am  Show Profile   Check omxfl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just FYI, something similar has happened in the stamp collecting world a few years ago:
https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamp...-invert.html

USPS - initially quietly - released 100 'upright Jenny' souvenir sheets. Since these souvenir sheets were sold inside sealed paper envelopes, it was not possible to determine if these were scarce or not. Some hunters went completely overboard and bought literally thousands of these in the hope to find one - mostly in vain...
Apparently, not all 100 have been found or officially reported to be found at least.
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2019  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smuglr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is also an EU for the silver proof set and an Unc for the uncirculated set. My guess is the circulating rarity hinted at will be circulation quality W mint marked cents salted in with the 'P' and D.

On the AI dollars the President Bush dollar also won't be in the set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1763 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
On the AI dollars the President Bush dollar also won't be in the set.

What's an AI dollar?
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2019  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smuglr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's a picture of the new proof W cent in the plastic packaging on the U.S. Mint's webpage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1763 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From one standpoint, it's poor packaging. It's almost like the additional coin is an unwelcome orphan. From another standpoint, I wish we had an option to buy complete sets packaged in the same manner. It would save time and possible damage versus the hard plastic.
Learn More...
United States
108455 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There's a picture of the new proof W cent in the plastic packaging on the U.S. Mint's webpage.
Nice!

Quote:
From another standpoint, I wish we had an option to buy complete sets packaged in the same manner. It would save time and possible damage versus the hard plastic.
Agreed!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2365 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hurry, hurry.
Set goes on sale tomorrow, March 1, 2019, at 12 noon (ET).

Learn More...
United States
108455 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I can wait to combine it with something else.

I hope so anyway.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1763 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's no point in waiting if you're going to place more than three orders over the course of the year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
979 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC also getting behind this new penny.

https://www.NGCcoin.com/news/articl...b3JJbnAifQ==
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11424 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2019  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got my subscription notification on the proof set. The "penny" and its packaging ("envelope") show as "BONUS" on the order:

Coming via SmartPost so I should have in hand by Thu or so.
Page: of 15 Previous TopicReplies: 219 / Views: 20,665Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: