Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 West Point Premium Penny

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 219 / Views: 20,663Next Topic
Page: of 15
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11424 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...on the Littleton-like bag it comes packaged in.

Nice observation.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
921 W cents were shipped from that glitch to 21 different people. We now have a real rarity if they're smart enough to get them graded before the official release
Edited by basebal21
03/08/2019 7:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1222 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We now have a rarity within a rarity if they're smart enough to get them graded before the official release

It's amazing that the Mint actually shipped out single cents, but the orders occurred after the proof sets were available on 1 March. The only way to show you purchased a single cent would be to submit an unopened box to a TPG. I suppose if the TPG made a special label then it could create a label rarity. I'm sure there's a label collector out there somewhere who would love to have it, but there's no way the cent itself is a rarity
Edited by BadDog
03/08/2019 8:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1763 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received my five proof sets and bonus -W cents today. It's funny that they didn't even bother to put the -W cents in the envelopes. Interestingly, there's a significant amount of difference in the cameo effect on the -W cents. It ranges from as much as I've ever seen to not much at all.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not sure I'm getting what you're saying.

It's amazing that the Mint actually shipped out single cents. Are you saying that these shipments occurred before the proof set was available? Even if this is the case, what would make them a rarity?

Yes those single bonus things everyone was putting in their cart and trying to order, not all of them got canceled. 921 of them shipped before they realized the mistake and canceled them.

Who ever has those if they get them graded and labeled as such those absolutely will have a premium and likely a large one. The problem might be proving that it was one of those unless they kept the shipping box sealed.
Edited by basebal21
03/08/2019 8:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1222 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
basebal21,

I edited my earlier post after I read the CoinWorld article (should have read it first )

Like I said in the edit, the only way to show it's one of the single cent orders is to submit the unopened Mint shipping box to the TPG.

It's still hard to believe that the Mint's shipping department didn't catch this error.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's still hard to believe that the Mint's shipping department didn't catch this error.

It's a little surprising the IT department and advertising etc made that mistake, but I doubt the shipping thinks twice about anything. They just pack what the sheet tells them too and mail it

Actually what I'm most surprised is that those 21 people only ordered 921 of them at face value. I would have definitely ordered at least a 100
Valued Member
United States
430 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's probably because they didn't go overboard they were able to get them without it making waves. Plus they were likely connected to other orders making the total more than a dollar for the order.

I would definitely have kept the box closed because, even though I think label rarities are dumb, this is a really big thing. A special bonus cent that now will have a higher mintage number than its corresponding set, and of these coins, a way to distinguish these extra 900 coins. I'm sure they will be worth a lot more than a cent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1085 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I'm looking at this as a success for me. I got my two 2019-W cents FOR FREE! Those suckers who'll get those 'solo' cents got stuck paying 1-cent each for every one of them.
Considering that; I made out like a bandit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1763 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
atticguy, you have a very positive way of looking at things.
Learn More...
United States
108455 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3722 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see some of us have got them. But still no pics
Valued Member
United States
342 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Chopped Triumphs's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just got my set as for the penny; You have to put it in the special envelope yourself.
Edited by Chopped Triumphs
03/09/2019 1:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1222 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But still no pics

Here's a pic of the cent

Definitely not a PR70DCAM. To much of a rub on the obverse around 10 o'clock and something going on the reverse rim at 3 o'clock.

the quarters

and the rest of the set
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3722 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2019  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ BadDog Are these coins you have in hand?
Page: of 15 Previous TopicReplies: 219 / Views: 20,663Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: