Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions On Removing Morgans From Slabs

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
27 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  10:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chip Schleichard to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've decided to start collecting Morgans, but only toned ones. Since I'm not a pro at telling if they're not naturally tone, I've been buying quite a few in 2nd and 3rd rated slabs. Mostly ICG slabs. All the coins are toned ms64 and up. I would like to remove them and just put them in those cardboard packs. Mainly because I want to handle them and I don't want a bunch oh mismatch slabs. Is that okay or should I leave them in the plastic?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3312 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are your coins, you can do whatever you want. Probably a good idea to keep the sticker from the slab so you know what the grade was.
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chip Schleichard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess what I mean is that, will they lose grade over time out of the case? Or does it hurt them to be left in those cardboard holders?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4337 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2019  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only take them out of the slabs if you plan on getting them regraded by ANACS,PCGS, or NGC. Otherwise just leave them in there for safety purposes
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8920 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2019  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Removing toned Morgans from slabs is actually a bad idea. Toning is not a stable condition and the sealed plastic slab actually protects the toning from the environment.
What exactly is "cardboard packs" that you refer to?
Member SSDC, TNA
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15545 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2019  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not a great fan of slabs.
Nevertheless, a slabbed coin is better protected than an unslabbed one. That is logical.
I don't believe all slabs are airtight.

A few of my of my more valuable coins are in screw sealed acrylic airtight capsules. That is just me.
Others find slabs easier to store.

It is possible to store smaller coins airtight in cardboard Mylar 2x2's.
I use food grade clear plastic stiff acetate sheet, as found in food containers.
What you do is cut the sheet to fit into the 2x2's, and seal the coins in the sheet using a droplet of acetone which airtight seal welds the plastic.
I must emphasize, this takes a lot of skill to get right. Practice on modern Zincolns first.
You can even staple the sheet plastic with flat clinch staples, but that wouldn't really be airtight, but it would provide much better coin physical protection than just very thin Mylar.
The airtight sealed coin then goes into the 2x2, which can then be noted with information relating to the coin.

For Morgans, 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 cardbord Mylar flips are available, but you need 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 album pocket pages for these flips. Such PVC free album pages are available, but they may be difficult to find.

You can't put detailed written notes on a slab, that is one of the reasons why I am not keen on them. I really prefer to do my own grading anyway.
Edited by sel_69l
02/18/2019 08:35 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2564 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2019  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I guess what I mean is that, will they lose grade over time out of the case?

Grading is supposed to be based on the wear of the coin, not whether it is in a slab or not.

However, as stated before, it may physically prevent damage or further wear, or if airtight, preserve the toning (which is really oxidation).
Pillar of the Community
United States
8683 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2019  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What are the cardboard holders you plan to put them in? Are they 2x2s, cardboard display cases, etc.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2019  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chip Schleichard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help on this... sorry I'm not very schooled on what these cardboard holders called, but I got a stack of them from a coin shop to hold loose coins. Mylar flips is what I'm guessing they're called from reading some of your responses.
I guess I'll just leave them in these ugly cases till I figure out how to store them properly or till I send them in to NGC. Which is the only cases that I remotely like.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12117 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2019  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Grading is supposed to be based on the wear of the coin, not whether it is in a slab or not.

There's more to grading than just simply wear or counting marks.

As far as whether it's in a slab or not, think of it this way. The TPGs are an independent opinion (some better than others). Would you have more confidence in a car that was certified, how about a house that was inspected? It's no different. All throughout our lives we use that industries version of a TPG and having that professional independent opinion carries a value and a confidence in the market
Learn More...
United States
73203 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2019  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As far as whether it's in a slab or not, think of it this way. The TPGs are an independent opinion (some better than others). Would you have more confidence in a car that was certified, how about a house that was inspected? It's no different. All throughout our lives we use that industries version of a TPG and having that professional independent opinion carries a value and a confidence in the market
Interesting and a great way to put it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1330 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stick them in a nice Dansco album or equivalent.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16938 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2019  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'll probably enjoy them more in a Dansco album, but the down side is they could get damaged, especially sliding those album windows across them leaving hairlines.
Safest way is to probably just get an album for slabs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2342 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2019  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not removed the toned Morgan's from plastic if you paid a premium for attractive toning. If you ever sell the coins raw, they will lose value., and it is gamble in getting an attractive toned coin certified without the questionable color tag.
Pillar of the Community
United States
921 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2019  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you live in a humid and/or warm environment, it is pretty much assured that if you crack the morgans out and put them in cardboard flips or an album, their toning will change, and potentially for the worse.

You can take them out of the slabs but if you want to preserve their appearance you would need to put in some air tight holder such as a sealed airtite. And preferably do this on a very dry day to prevent inclusion of moisture with the air. Best case purge with nitrogen or helium during enclosure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1513 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2019  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
purge with nitrogen or helium during enclosure

I never thought about purging with an inert gas when sealing a coin in an air-tite. That would be the ultimate in preventing further toning. You can buy cans of nitrogen or argon gas inexpensively as wine preservers, but how exactly do you seal an air-tite with the gas inside?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05