Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1833 Greece 5 Lepta -

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,180Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
896 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2019  9:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These colors are something.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73288 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64 or even 65, just beautiful.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5560 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

(though I do see a bit of chatter on the shield lines and the rims).

@jadey, if you just came into possession of that set, it's really a remarkable acquisiton. Looking in CoinArchives, it looks like top specimens fetch quite nice prices.
Edited by tdziemia
02/28/2019 07:48 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
896 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TDZ

I did acquire these recently at an estate sale. I guess the collector was a hoarder of very nice coins. The coins were in bags and just dumped out on trays. Almost nothing was protected. I bought a bunch of trays and really had no choice but to put them all in ziplock bags and bring them home and go through it all.

I don't recall seeing any dates beyond about 1975, so I suspect that they sat undisturbed in bags for a very long time and many acquired some nice toning. I think that the nicely toned ones show chatter because they have been jostled about recently and have been nicked in the process. (They've all been through the same process, but the toned ones show it more). I would have loved to be able to buy them in the bags and then carefully remove them, but that's not how they were sold.

I'm planning on getting a number of coins graded, but I was actually thinking of letting the toned ones with "chatter" re-tone a bit beforehand. However, I have no experience with how long that would take to occur.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25630 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64RB
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5560 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I did acquire these recently at an estate sale.

I hope you had no knowledgeable competition and make a killing!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
896 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2019  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TDZ. I got some great deals. I'm not particularly focused on one area, but I love these old coins. US coins have gotten a little stale for me, so I love the variety of the World coins.

At some point, I need to really organize and understand these coins and the progression. Your thread concerning the Poland coins by century was a real eye opener in that respect.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
896 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is a bit of a heart breaker.

Genuine Uncirculated Details - Questionable color.

I guess those green/blue spots are unnatural, but I think this one is a beauty.

TrueView Link
Edited by Jadey
08/18/2022 9:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1176 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's unfortunate, still a lovely coin!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73288 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed it is.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25630 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sure didn't see that coming. It has really nice eye appeal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin I saw as original... darn shame...I guess the TPG is saying cleaned and re-toning. Maybe you should let it naturally retain to BN and resubmit.

KK
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,180Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: