Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Us Yer Gorgeous Georges

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 932 / Views: 44,232Next Topic
Page: of 63
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A recent auction pickup and a solid upgrade for my collection.

Bank of Ireland 1805 ten pence silver token, struck by The Royal Mint,

Davis 87, Seaby 6617, KM Tn3.
I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6753 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@daltonista: Always a pleasure to see your posts!

Was it common for The Royal Mint to strike tokens?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
commems wrote: Was it common for The Royal Mint to strike tokens?

The short answer is no, it was quite uncommon.

Without taking up a lot of forum space identifying all the "private mints" that struck the early 19th-century private and provincial tokens, which were a sort of necessity coinage, suffice it to say that The Royal Mint was involved only in the officially authorized token issues of the Banks of England, Ireland, and Jersey. Even some of those, such as the British 1804 Dollar and the Irish 6/- token (both crowns), were struck at Boulton and Watt's Soho Mint in Birmingham...overstruck, really, on worn Spanish 8 Reales coins.

I know the information is out there, but I'd sure need to do some more research to come up with anything like a precise response. Bear in mind, though, that a quick tally will show that the silver bank issues noted above -- excluding all the patterns, proof-only strikes, and trivial die varieties and pairings -- basically amount to 12 types, and a complete date set would come to 17 pieces in all. So that's not much Royal Mint participation at all.

Maybe I should drop another one of my relevant Gorgeous Georges in here...a gemmy toner, at that!

Ireland, 10 Pence Silver Bank Token, 1813. D89, S4618.

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6753 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know the information is out there, but I'd sure need to do some more research to come up with anything like a precise response.

No need! The answer you've provided is what I was after. I didn't think The Royal Mint made many tokens, but, as this is not an area of significant knowledge for me, I wanted to confirm with someone far more advanced in their knowledge. Mission accomplished!

Thanks!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And here I thought I was helping you write your doctoral dissertation, commems!

Learn More...
United States
106468 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6753 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And here I thought I was helping you write your doctoral dissertation, commems!

I never turn down knowledgeable help!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18674 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2021  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1943 Australia.
3 Pence - George VI.

Edited by Dorado
11/03/2021 10:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
9594 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  03:59 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't posted my newly-acquired George II crown here yet!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18674 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Very nice!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18674 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1882 A Greece.
10 Lepta - George I 2nd portrait.

Learn More...
United States
106468 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1943 Australia. 3 Pence - George VI.

Quote:
1882 A Greece. 10 Lepta - George I 2nd portrait.
Fantastic!
Learn More...
United States
106468 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Excellent!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22900 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canada 1937 Cent

Bedrock of the Community
United States
22900 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2021  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great Britain 1912 3 Pence

Page: of 63 Previous TopicReplies: 932 / Views: 44,232Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: