Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

China Chinese Liao Dynasty Khitan Liao Coinkhitan Large 3-4"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,404Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  06:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add EberAtfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A friend of mine is from China living in Washington State and has been collecting coins since he was a child in the 60s.
He bought these about a decade ago at auction and feels pretty good that they are authentic but cannot find anyting anywhere else like them.
Looking for any help opinions on how to authenticate identify.
Thanks in advance.

China
9 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xsxzh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Sorry, these are all fake, please tell your friends to stop buying.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EberAtfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see you are a new member
I will wait for someone with more expertise If these were fake you would see others like it or similar and there are none.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1144 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If these are 3-4 inches I wonder if they are some sort of souvenir or charm.
Many similar items are made for tourists and a good number of them often have some sort of wealth, luck, prosperity or keeping a home safe & sound theme.
Others may just show an emperor like this:
This one is 50mm and weighs 39grams

Edited by Albert
03/10/2019 4:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
662 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aiglet7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you will see from this link the coins of the Liao Dynasty were quite small and ranged in diameter between 24.2mm & 23.2mm. In weight between 2.7grams and 4grams.

Chinese Coins
http://primaltrek.com/chinesecoins....sty_907-1125
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3328 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2019  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These cannot be genuine - these were cast and they look too uniform. The technology to make such perfect circle and square holes did not exist. Such technology only came into play 1000 years later.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EberAtfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All ancient Chinese coins were cast and they were perfecting the process
This was about a thousand years ago after a thousand years of them casting and making coins.
Many antique authentic coins are thought to be fake until verified.
Edited by EberAtfl
03/11/2019 01:28 am
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EberAtfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

China
9 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  03:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xsxzh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These fake moneys are not right from the production process, materials, copper rust, we call it a fake, meaning that the first sight is fake, will not look at the second eye.

These pictures are all true

Learn More...
United States
98119 Posts
Learn More...
Australia
13583 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they're that large, then those things are way too big to be genuine coins. There are some Liao Dynasty multiple-cash coins, which you can find on these zeno.ru pages, but they aren't this big.

I would also concur that these are certainly not a thousand years old; cash coins that old have a thick green patina on them; these coins have a very thin, dusty patina - typical of quick artifical ageing.

Finally, they look too uniform - these are purporting to span a time period of several centuries, yet they all seem to have exactly the same dimensions and, apart from the inscriptions and different coloured toning, they appear identical. I would expect to see much more variation in in size and appearance with genuine items.

The only coin on the zeno.ru site linked to above with a similar appearance and toning pattern to yours is this one, which is filed under "later cast" - which is a polite way of saying "modern fake".

Large "coin like charms" such as these are often made and sold as ornaments for houses.

Quote:
Many antique authentic coins are thought to be fake until verified.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. These pieces so far, lack that evidence.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
1144 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2019  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They all look like they were made and doctored or colored at the same time and place.
Maybe they are paperweights.
A Chinese business man may have these on a desk.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oabmarcus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake coins.
Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bjherbison to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
> I see you are a new member
> I will wait for someone with more expertise If these were fake you would see others like it or similar and there are none.

The number of posts in this forum is not a good measure of how much someone knows about Chinese coins.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oabmarcus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are obvious fakes, it doesn't take an "expert" to tell. Liao coins are very scarce and stylistically unique. You only have to look at a photo of a real Liao coin to tell these coins were made in the last 25 years.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,404Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05