Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Really Need Your Help!

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
724 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  10:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I am very concerned about an NCLT package that has not been delivered. Before Christmas, I sent 13 raw Canadian gold and silver coins to NGC for grading. The coins graded well and were mailed to me from Sarasota->Miami on February 13th headed towards Toronto, ON (my residence). On Feb 18, the 13 graded coins were 'transferred to next facility' in Miami and that was the last update I got from the USPS website.

I contacted the sender and they contacted USPS to get a more detailed status. The sender contacted me on Friday and said that Canada Customs is holding the parcel because it contains 'prohibited items' (gold and silver bullion). Canada Customs have held these coins for about a month now and I'm not sure what to do next. The coins are worth about $3000.

Should I wait? Or try and contact Canada Customs? Will the package get sent back to NGC? They couldn't possibly seize and destroy could they?

I am literally fretting night and day over this. I am having troubles sleeping. Any advice for me?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by JGG
03/17/2019 10:13 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
675 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panda to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which city/area are you in Canada?

Soon the CBSA will send you a letter to let you know how to do.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
724 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Panda,
I live just west of Toronto. How long does it usually take for the CBSA to send a letter?

These are the coins:

Line Item: 001
Coin Description: 2005 CANADA G$10 MAPLE LEAF LIBERATION
Grade: SP 70
Line Item: 002
Coin Description: 2013 CANADA S$20 J.E.H. MACDONALD
Grade: PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO
Line Item: 003
Coin Description: 2000 CANADA G$50 MAPLE LEAF MILLENNIUM PRIVY
Grade: MS 68
Line Item: 004
Coin Description: 2013 CANADA S$20 ARCTIC FOX
Grade: PF 69 ULTRA CAMEO
Line Item: 005
Coin Description: 2011 CANADA S$20 MONTANA CRYSTALS
Line Item: 006
Coin Description: 2012 CANADA S$20 CLEAR CRYSTAL
Line Item: 007
Coin Description: 2012 CANADA S$20 CRYSTAL RAINDROP SUGAR MAPLE - COLORIZED
Line Item: 008
Coin Description: 2012 CANADA S$20 RHODODENDRON COLORIZED
Line Item: 009
Coin Description: 2018 Canada S$5 Maple Leaf F15 Privy
Grade: MS 69
Line Item: 010
Coin Description: 2017 Canada S$5 Maple Leaf F15 Privy
Grade: MS 66
Line Item: 011
Grade: MS 66
Line Item: 012
Grade: MS 68
Line Item: 013
Grade: MS 64
Edited by JGG
03/17/2019 12:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3537 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My fingers are crossed for you. Red tape sucks.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Canada
675 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panda to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think there are any problem with your NGC submission: they are all orginally made in/sent from Canada and they are all 99.9% pure.

Your parcel maybe hold in Montreal, depends on how long take them to process it and make decision.

But at least they will let you know.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1439 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Couple of words of wisdom. I am a Canadian NGC dealer and ship coins back and forth frequently. Both across the border and to my Ogdensburg US address. Here are a few things to consider.

1. NGC sends graded coins using the USPS registered mail service. Little know fact that Canada Post does two things with inbound shipments sent via registered mail from other countries.
a. They will not populate the CPC website with tracking information on ANY inbound packages sent using the "registered mail" product. So you're stuck looking at the tracking of the send Postal Service until the shipments magically appear.
b. Over the past year CPC has started to purposely throttle inbound registered mail shipments. One reason is that they want to force other mail services to use other more appropriate (and more expensive) shipping products. As you know, Canadians are not allowed to ship anything but paper using registered mail service internationally. Canada Post doesn't like the fact that other countries still allow it. It's common for inbound deliveries sent registered mail to take over a month.

2. NGC does not put coin values on their international shipments. The usually keep the declaration low with a random number. Even if the package is opened by customs, you would only be liable for HST based on the value of the grading service (fees) provided and not the value of the coins.

Seems a little long in your case but keep in mind that NGC ships insured so you should be covered if there is a problem. A few more days and I would call NGC to aske them for a trace. If yuo call, CPC or Canada Customs will not provide you with any info.
Edited by TheCoinHunter
03/17/2019 2:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
724 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, CoinHunter. As a matter of fact, I have purchased a few of your coins off of eBay over the past couple years.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2539 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
have you tried putting the tracking number into Canada post's tracker..if it is in Canada it may show up on there tracking now..
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4370 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have the tracking# you can find which CP main office has this package in bond and there is a CBSA mailroom phone # really hard to get but you could go to like the Pearson airport custom office and clear it yourself or spend 50 bucks and get a broker to clear it simply because all your coins are RCM products
Pillar of the Community
Canada
724 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silverwolf, it comes up as 'item not found'
Edited by JGG
03/17/2019 7:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
675 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2019  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panda to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you're welcome!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1439 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2019  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like I said...Because it is registered mail, you will not get tracking info on the CPC website. And USPS will not show you what's going on with the package once it made it to Canada. Ask NGC to trace it for you.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4370 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2019  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't NGC ship by UPS or USPS with tracking # ? Register letter just slow things down even if you ship anything in Canada, Express Post will have a signature option but traceable and quick
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1439 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2019  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinHunter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They ship USPS unless you request otherwise. The do ship with tracking but because its registered mail, Canadapost will not track it on their website. My original post explains why.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12605 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2019  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to expand on it a little bit as far as USPS registered mail works. It does have a tracking number and the USPS does track it, but it's mostly internally. Even in the USA registered mail tracking that you can look up online is intentionally spotty or full of automatic or outdated updates as part of the security features so someone cannot easily locate where it is. Once it's delivered the real tracking is generally updated on the site but until then it may look like it's sat somewhere for days when it's been on the move the whole time. The other methods such as Express, First Class or Priority give you accurate tracking.

If you have your own shipping account NGC will send it however you want, but if not than they always do USPS registered which very likely has to do with their insurance policy. I've tried to offer up a liability waiver if they would send it priority or express just because it takes so long to get the registered for me, but even than they told me they wouldn't do it
Pillar of the Community
Canada
724 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2019  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should I file a police report for lost/stolen numismatics at this point. We are entering the sixth week on a shipment that usually takes 5 or 6 days.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05