Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Domitian Denarius

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1224 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2019  8:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have had the seller's site bookmarked for about 2 weeks since I first saw this coin. Today I decided to grab it. I kept going back and forth because the condition is not great. Then again, this is the first one I have seen for sale.

This coin is part of the first issue for Domitian of 82 CE. According to Buttrey and Carradice "The denarii of the first issue of 82 use the same eight main reverse designs as the last issues of 81"

Though the coin has some wear, the reason I bought this was threefold. First, I did not have a coin from this issue. Second, I really liked the character displayed by the obverse portrait. Also, the reverse devices are quite clear and recognizable.

I have a few more coins of Domitian on my watch list for next week. I hope I can land at least 2 of them. I am really enjoying the process of tracking down these coins and then searching the reference books for additional information on them. It is a lot of fun. In general I have also learned how many attributions are just plain wrong. This is an example of where having the book is necessary and helpful.

Please post your coins of Domitian.

Domitian AR Denarius Rome mint
82 CE (First Issue)
18.5 mm, 3.09 g
Obv: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M, laureate head right
Rev: TR P COS VIII P P, winged thunderbolt on draped table
RIC 101; RSC 597; BMC 26.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
United States
4372 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2019  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent pickup. What an expressive portrait - Domitian appears to be scowling, maybe expressing derision. In any event he doesn't appear to be a happy camper here. Very interesting reverse type too.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12686 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2019  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A "winged thunderbolt"--very nice!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
22522 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2019  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another excellent coin, you are building some collection of his denarius.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1224 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2019  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the kind comments.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05