Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mint To Release W National Park Quarters

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
United States
2340 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2019  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
in Phoenix for distribution? meaning only to dealers? or through local banks>?
Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SDcoinguy, Distribution to banks. These were sent to the fed reserve and to the armored carriers for distribution, for wider distribution.

On page two of this thread I posted a link to a list of distribution cities through April, for April 1st delivery and then late April delivery. Link again:
https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...ion.all.html

The only issue I am having in my area (Miami) is that the new 2019 American Memorial park design quarters aren't out yet anywhere in my area.
I think this is due to Miami serving both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale and them maybe holding a few months of quarters in stock at all times and rotating them oldest to newest.

Seems the smaller distribution cities got them first, and maybe the armored carriers just hold less inventory and can get to the new product faster.

I'm still seeing Lowell 2019 rolls around and feel like it could be weeks still until they get to the new stuff that should have the W mintmark quarters in them.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
04/23/2019 11:59 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2340 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big-Kingdom
THANKS!

i actually stopped by a CHASE branch today in Tucson and she gave me some 2019 -D fort lowells.

i was so excited once I saw! but when I turned them al over, they all had a Denver mark.

i spoke to someone at my coin shop and they said the were not going to be released like the normal FED rolls, but released sporadically, amongst all coins, like through a bag of coins...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1206 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless I get lucky and happen upon some 2019-W quarters, I'll just wait a couple of years for the price to come down. People are paying $25 to $35 each on eBay right now. 2,000,000 is a large mintage. I don't see the prices staying near that high. My guess is that nice uncirculated examples will be at $5 each in a couple of years.
Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nah SD coin guy. They are in with the rolls of the 2019 quarters P+D starting with the 2nd coin of 2019 American Memorial Park.

If you found Lowell then the bank needs to deplete their inventory and order more and hopefully the armored carrier brings the newer 2019 rolls next if they've gotten past their lowells.

Ebay sellers are finding them in rolls of American Memorial Park quarters.
Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2019  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bret, 3 weeks ago people were paying 90-100+ per coin on ebay. I think it will come down a bit more but I don't think under $10 is going to happen. Maybe $15-$20.

I dunno though, "nice uncirculated" seems to be below MS64 right now with top grades MS66 and MS67. Fairly certain they will be hunted to death and once they enter circulation it will become harder to find uncirculated or something high grade. They are already starting out lower side of Mint state.
I'm not saying go crazy and spend all your money right now, just saying that you might be wrong on what a nice uncirculated sells for a couple years down the road.

I will say this, I watch ebay and none of the coins are from major cities yet. What's currently for sale is just a small percerage of what still needs to be found so I do believe the price will still come down more.

BUT, I also think it will go back up shortly after once the population's and conditions are known for uncirculated and nice middle mint states.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
04/24/2019 07:48 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1668 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2019  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exciting isn't it...a breath of fresh air in collecting coins...maybe the non coin press will publicize this...maybe new collectors, like with the British Alphabet 10p.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
2537 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the $5000 prize for first W mint-marked quarter to be certified by PCGS has been awarded.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1668 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just read that the $5K will be split between two submitter's...one was MS65 the other MS66.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
2537 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect, given that the 1996-W FDR dime still commands $15-20 at a mintage of about 1.5 million, that these W mint marked quarters will hold a price of around the same thing. Maybe even a little higher, because unlike the FDR 96-W dime, many of the W mint marked quarters could get lost forever in circulation and in piggy banks. Nearly all 1.5 million 96-W dimes are accounted for someplace- in 1996 Mint sets still sealed, certified, or cut out of the mint set and put in 2x2s.

I do not suspect the price for the W mint marked quarters will fall below $10.

The US Mint did something truly extraordinary this time, to stimulate collector interest and perhaps new roll hunters and collectors. The quarters are not otherwise available in any other US Mint product, and they released them only to selected cities (with new cities being mixed in for each of the 5 reverses; some cities may only see one of the 5 reverses). This should create scarcity the W mint marked quarters in most cities on top of the low mintage of 2 million each.

If anyone gets one, please post here and city, and if known, what the wrapper was (Loomis, NF String, etc).
Edited by mycrob
04/30/2019 3:05 pm
Learn More...
United States
70978 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suspect, given that the 1996-W FDR dime still commands $15-20 at a mintage of about 1.5 million, that these W mint marked quarters will hold a price of around the same thing. Maybe even a little higher, because unlike the FDR 96-W dime, many of the W mint marked quarters could get lost forever in circulation and in piggy banks. Nearly all 1.5 million 96-W dimes are accounted for someplace- in 1996 Mint sets still sealed, certified, or cut out of the mint set and put in 2x2s.
A fair assessment.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2537 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just examined some Ebay auctions on W containing rolls and found one auction that was rather interesting and may provide some new information (if information within the auction is true).

In one auction, the seller shows a BU $10 roll of quarters with D obverse on one end (heads) and a Lowell (tails) reverse on the other and claims (I guess from opening other similar rolls) that the Lowell is a guaranteed W, because the rest of the roll is Memorial Park D mint marked and other similarly opened rolls with any Lowell's inside are W. He says anywhere from 1 to a handful of W per roll.

If this is true, then it appears the W Lowells are mixed in with the Memorial Park regular series. That seems odd to me, but that's what the seller says. This may not be true in all parts of the country, I don't know.

I would love to hear some more information on this.

Link to auction (if allowed- if not just do a search on Ebay under 2019 quarters for "W roll"):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncirculat...AOSwtwVcw8u7
Pillar of the Community
United States
1206 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the other hand, I think that releasing the coins in to circulation is likely to create frustration on the part of many collectors. My 7 year old daughter is looking for them in my change every chance she gets. I tell her that they'll be difficult to find, especially all of them, but emotionally she just doesn't get it. All the quarters that she's collected so far are from circulation. She can handle $0.25 each for them, but she'll quickly get frustrated at the thought of having to pay $10+ per quarter. It just isn't going to happen. For her I think this whole thing is a net negative.

I've been collecting quarters from proof and mint sets for years. I always end up with nice quarters. The thought of having lower grade quarters in my collection is a turnoff and I don't want to pay out the rear for slabbed quarters. Not having the opportunity to buy the -S quarters in a mint product is already frustrating. These take it to a whole new level. I think they should definitely have offered them in a mint product of some sort.
Pillar of the Community
United States
925 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For her I think this whole thing is a net negative.

I tend to think this will end up being the case for many young and new collectors. For the last 5 years the Mint has averaged over 2 billion ATB Quarters for circulation production. Assuming that this year is an average production year would mean that the 10 million W quarters amount to less than .5% of the total production. IMHO such a small chance of finding all, or even one, of these quarters is not the way to attract new and young collectors.

To me, if the goal was to attract new and young collectors then this limited production circulation release is a miss, just as having a limited production for the Rocketship and Explore & Discover (and probably also for the Youth Coin & Currency later this year) sets is also a miss when it comes to attracting new and young collectors. IMHO the Mint is trying to attract new and young collectors to our hobby but they don't quite seem to understand how to do it.

Quote:
Not having the opportunity to buy the -S quarters in a mint product is already frustrating. These take it to a whole new level. I think they should definitely have offered them in a mint product of some sort.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1687 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2019  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just want to let everyone know that I was able to find 19 of the Lowell W mint mark quarters in only 14 rolls of uncirculated rolls. All rolls came from Loomis. The funny thing was, I had almost all American memorials and then every single Lowell I found was a W mint mark. There was no regular Lowell's and no W American memorals. And also I got the rolls from a BOA in Ontario CA. This was also the second wave of quarters that was sent out for the remainder of April. Not the shipment from April 1. Hope this helps. Thanks!

-CH27

CoinHunter27
Collector of US errors and variety coins of all kinds

"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent"
-Carl Sandburg
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05