Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A General Question About "Details" Grading.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2664 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  5:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A "details" grade on a modern slab is practically a death sentence.

So I am wondering if "details" for the typical coin is the rule or the exception.

To clarify, suppose you got some rolls of modern circulated coins from the bank, mixed random years. What percentage of these, if sent to a TPG, would receive a "details" grade rather than a numeric grade? Presumably all or most of those in the rolls have just gone through normal circulation. Are most circulated coins "gradable"?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4347 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Not necessarily.

Quote:
So I am wondering if "details" for the typical coin is the rule or the exception.

I would say exception.

Quote:
To clarify, suppose you got some rolls of modern circulated coins from the bank, mixed random years. What percentage of these, if sent to a TPG, would receive a "details" grade rather than a numeric grade? Presumably all or most of those in the rolls have just gone through normal circulation. Are most circulated coins "gradable"?

I would say the % is low. I would think most circulated coins are straight gradable.
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15754 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To explain where I come from, I have to say two things first:
1. I am not a great fan of slabs, although in some specific cases they are obviously the best option.
TPGrading is best used when selling highly valuable American coins in the American market.
2. My first numismatic love lies in other than modern coins.
Milled, hammered and ancient coins may have many so called 'details', which together, may have a greater or lesser effect on the grading than just a straight grade may have.

Having made these two comments,
to me, a 'details' notification is not necessarily a death sentence. The detrimental effect of a 'details' notification is wholly dependent on the nature and extent of the 'details'.

Irrespective of any implications of (1.) above, the collector has to make up their own mind as to what extent the 'details' affects the value.
Edited by sel_69l
04/02/2019 6:17 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12364 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are most circulated coins "gradable"?

Currently circulating ones yes most would be gradable.

Quote:

Very true for the premiums for the most part especially for ultra moderns. Some people may define moderns differently though so you can get some weird answers but for the most part there aren't many exceptions to this over the last 40 years of US coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2664 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2019  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. So it seems that most coins wear naturally-so would get a numeric grade. That makes sense. If it were not so, I would wonder if the standards are too high.

It also makes sense that the significance of "details" varies quite a bit. If it is more significant for very modern coins, that makes sense too, as why would you settle for less than perfect or nearly perfect when they are still coming out of the mint?

@sel, yes when you go far back, coins were made rather imperfectly at times, so a "grade" only in terms of the wear is not the only factor to consider. Also, your choices may be rather limited for some of the more obscure or uncommon pieces.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15754 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2019  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In many ways, I would agree with that.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17464 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2019  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All "details" means is that the coin has damage or the surface has been altered.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7536 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2019  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also disagree with the details designation is the kiss of death. there are various levels of damage some of which I would personally accept. it does however affect the final value of a coin. also rarity plays a huge part in this. here is a 1793 Chain LC graded AG3 with a details designation. without this designation the coin would have a value in the 4-5k range. this one could be picked up for maybe half that

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12364 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2019  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I also disagree with the details designation is the kiss of death. there are various levels of damage some of which I would personally accept. it does however affect the final value of a coin. also rarity plays a huge part in this. here is a 1793 Chain LC graded AG3 with a details designation. without this designation the coin would have a value in the 4-5k range. this one could be picked up for maybe half that

While all true, he has specially mentioned modern coins where it is the kiss of death. You're much better off spending something like details State Quarters than trying to sell them barring some valuable error or a couple varieties
Edited by basebal21
04/03/2019 3:24 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05