Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1824/2 Capped Bust Dime Jr-2?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
614 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2019  12:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add QuarterHoarder72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think I may have the JR-2 variety, because the top of the 10 is pointed. If you can, please zoom in with your device to see the 1 in 10, to get the view of the pointed tip. If it is, how much is it worth in this condition? If it's JR-1, how much will it be worth in this condition? Thanks!

"Coin collectors aren't afraid of change."
-Unknown
Pillar of the Community
United States
614 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2019  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuarterHoarder72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, I did some more research on this coin, and saw that the ERI of my AMERICA aren't touching, therefore confirming it a JR-1. My mistake, but I'd still like to know how much this could be worth ungraded.
-Unknown
Pillar of the Community
United States
4407 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2019  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heritage sold a G-4 example ANACS certified for $99 last month

Check Ebay sold listings for a wider answer.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
United States
614 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2019  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuarterHoarder72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help! I or my coin at About good, so it probably isn't worth $99.00. It may be worth $70-$80 maybe?
-Unknown
Pillar of the Community
United States
4407 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'd say that'd be a good valuation. I'm haven't kept up to date on the coin market much myself.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
United States
614 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2019  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuarterHoarder72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome! Thanks for the help!
-Unknown
Pillar of the Community
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good eye! I'd say the coin is worth directly what a collector is willing to pay (obviously), in auctions I always consider the new price of a variety is now at the next under bidder (loser in the auction) as the winner has filled the hole and is only looking to upgrade at the moment, (depending on his collection).

The best way to sell or market this type of specialized coin, would be through a specialized club auction, like the EAC or C4, JRS and others do. Of course it takes a lot more time to sell it that way, and you need to be a member of the organization. Usually only auctions are once a year too.

I don't have any idea of how many collectors of early dimes there are, depending on how many are trying to complete a collection of varieties and this one is really tough it could be in pretty good demand, or hardly any.

Bryan what have you been smoking? Heritage sold this one;

https://coins.ha.com/itm/bust-dimes...bnail-071515

Sold on April 3, 2018 (PCGS Genuine not gradable, AG Details bent), it does look a bit nicer than QuarterHoarder72's example and his might grade straight) for $504.00 there were 16 bids and 281 page views, so from that I'd say this coin is pretty popular even at this really low grade. Get it into a PCGS holder first. Likely would be a lot higher value than $70 or even $100.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15286 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Westcoin, I think you may have missed that the coin is the common JR-1 and not the rare JR-2
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
6774 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gary you are correct! DOH
Bryan was correct, I was only looking at JR2 varieties. His pricing sounds good then. I pulled a classic ASSUME only leaving out the U part and it was only ME. Sorry.

I am definitely no expert on capped bust coinage, I do have a lot of reference material, but have not spent much time examining these coins, been working on early coppers the past couple of years besides my Two Cent Pieces.

My apologies to MeadowView (he is a friend too), I mistook a photo and badly at that, should have read the comment it was NOT the JR2.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1432 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2019  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GERMANICVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was hoping the OP's coin had turned out to be a JR-2.
It is possible to find them. However, the likelihood is admittedly low since the number of JR-2's believed to exist has, as far as I know, only increased slightly since the variety was first discovered. It is currently estimated that approximately 50-55 examples exist.

This is the example in my collection, obtained some time ago through one of the authors of the capped Bust Dime Identification Guide.

Edited by GERMANICVS
04/21/2019 01:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
614 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2019  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuarterHoarder72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the help people! I'm just now realizing I took photos of the wrong part of America. I'll be uploading some different pictures of the right spot to determine the JR-1, because I still believe the 1 curves at a point which is not the way the JR-1 variety looks.
-Unknown
Pillar of the Community
United States
614 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2019  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuarterHoarder72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I grabbed a pic of where AMERICA is supposed to be, and it's way too worn to tell at all, so I'm not gonna post it but the 1 still has a curve at the top that throws me off. Take a look-
-Unknown
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05