Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Deer, Oh Deer, Oh Deer!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2019  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect this is actually an Ibex, but horns and hooves seems close enough.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13857 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2019  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure that I have many with the whole deer, but this antler should get me half credit.

It is a Pfennig from the German City State of Siesia (Sorau mint) minted between 1340 and 1424 AD.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
1162 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2019  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of Canadian 5 dollar pieces. The Moose and the Pronghorn Antelope.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2433 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some beautiful coins guys.
I had a feeling we were going to see lots from Canada. :)
Keep them coming.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 14,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6671 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Equitorial African States -- 100 francs, 1966:

Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pepac - nice design.
@owatchman - I did not know Canada had a Pronghorn Antelope coin. I always think of the following when I see one of these animals:
I have always read they do not interbreed with whitetail deer.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/...guccounter=1
This bit of taxidermy was at what used to the be the Thunderbird Motel near the Mall of Americas in Y2K. The following animal was in the same hallway with a bunch of mounted Pronghorns and Whitetails. Now THAT I would love to see on a coin! Maybe 1 oz rounds?

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
04/09/2019 2:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1012 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Saint Hubert (patron of hunters) chasing a deer
early 16th silver century Belgian coin, a snaphaan from Erard de la Marck from Liege (1506-1538)

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5791 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Georgia - 1993 20 tetri:
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Equitorial African States -- 100 francs, 1966:
Very nice!

Quote:
Saint Hubert (patron of hunters) chasing a deer
early 16th silver century Belgian coin, a snaphaan from Erard de la Marck from Liege (1506-1538)
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1012 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Jbuck !

the legend of saint Hubert (from Liège) was only a couple of decades old when this coin was made

nice webpage is this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubertus

Saint Hubert of Liège is patron of archers; dogs; forest workers; trappers; hunting; huntsmen; mathematicians; metal workers; and smelters.

United States
41 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2019  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ephesus Ionia, 2nd century BC, AE 17mm, Obv. Bee, Rev. stag

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6671 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2019  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
South Africa -- 2 rand, 1980:

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18723 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2019  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder why some are shown with antlers and some without.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2019  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the legend of saint Hubert (from Liège) was only a couple of decades old when this coin was made

nice webpage is this one:
Interesting!

Quote:
Ephesus Ionia, 2nd century BC, AE 17mm, Obv. Bee, Rev. stag

Quote:
South Africa -- 2 rand, 1980:
Very nice!
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05