Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Deer, Oh Deer, Oh Deer!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2019  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect this is actually an Ibex, but horns and hooves seems close enough.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12409 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2019  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure that I have many with the whole deer, but this antler should get me half credit.

It is a Pfennig from the German City State of Siesia (Sorau mint) minted between 1340 and 1424 AD.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1081 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2019  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of Canadian 5 dollar pieces. The Moose and the Pronghorn Antelope.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2413 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some beautiful coins guys.
I had a feeling we were going to see lots from Canada. :)
Keep them coming.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 13,500 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
United States
74827 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5640 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Equitorial African States -- 100 francs, 1966:

Pillar of the Community
United States
6051 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pepac - nice design.
@owatchman - I did not know Canada had a Pronghorn Antelope coin. I always think of the following when I see one of these animals:
I have always read they do not interbreed with whitetail deer.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/...guccounter=1
This bit of taxidermy was at what used to the be the Thunderbird Motel near the Mall of Americas in Y2K. The following animal was in the same hallway with a bunch of mounted Pronghorns and Whitetails. Now THAT I would love to see on a coin! Maybe 1 oz rounds?

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
04/09/2019 2:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
946 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Saint Hubert (patron of hunters) chasing a deer
early 16th silver century Belgian coin, a snaphaan from Erard de la Marck from Liege (1506-1538)

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5339 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Georgia - 1993 20 tetri:
Learn More...
United States
74827 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Equitorial African States -- 100 francs, 1966:
Very nice!

Quote:
Saint Hubert (patron of hunters) chasing a deer
early 16th silver century Belgian coin, a snaphaan from Erard de la Marck from Liege (1506-1538)
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
946 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Jbuck !

the legend of saint Hubert (from Liège) was only a couple of decades old when this coin was made

nice webpage is this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubertus

Saint Hubert of Liège is patron of archers; dogs; forest workers; trappers; hunting; huntsmen; mathematicians; metal workers; and smelters.

United States
39 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2019  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ephesus Ionia, 2nd century BC, AE 17mm, Obv. Bee, Rev. stag

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5640 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2019  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
South Africa -- 2 rand, 1980:

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18243 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2019  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder why some are shown with antlers and some without.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
74827 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2019  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the legend of saint Hubert (from Liège) was only a couple of decades old when this coin was made

nice webpage is this one:
Interesting!

Quote:
Ephesus Ionia, 2nd century BC, AE 17mm, Obv. Bee, Rev. stag

Quote:
South Africa -- 2 rand, 1980:
Very nice!
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05