Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Deer, OH Deer, OH Deer!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 618 / Views: 30,882Next Topic
Page: of 42
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16850 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2014 Russian North Pole
5 Roubles.

Learn More...
United States
98119 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16850 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1987 Banco Central de Reserva del Peru.
5 Intis.

Learn More...
United States
98119 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16850 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1949 Australia.
Penny.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5534 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dorado: Just wondering...How does a coin with a kangaroo on it fit into a thread that is meant for coins with either a deer, moose or caribou?

FWIW: The Coat-of-Arms of Peru on the Cinco Intis coin above has a Vicuņa on it vs. a deer. It may have a deer-like body, but the Vicuņa is in a different family - it's not a deer.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
98119 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@Dorado: Just wondering...How does a coin with a kangaroo on it fit into a thread that is meant for coins with either a deer, moose or caribou?
I had the same concern.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16850 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had the same concern.

In this post we have:
Camels,elephants,pigs,rhinos ,giraffes...etc etc..
Why not a kangaroo ?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16850 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
FWIW: The Coat-of-Arms of Peru on the Cinco Intis coin above has a Vicuņa on it vs. a deer. It may have a deer-like body, but the Vicuņa is in a different family - it's not a deer.

You are 100% right! ...
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
84 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wannabfree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2012 Canadian Silver $20 Christmas Deer

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5534 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wannabfree: Thanks for sharing! Do you collect all of Canada's $20-for-$20 coins?

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
84 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wannabfree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wannabfree: Thanks for sharing! Do you collect all of Canada's $20-for-$20 coins?
commems- I wish I could say yes, but no I do not. I did not realize when I bought this coin, that I was paying $20 for a quarter of an ounce of silver. I do not condemn the RCM for adding a premium to their cost and I am glad they are self sufficient, but in this case, it was simply my naivety. I do think it is pretty, though.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5534 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wannabfree: When the RCM launched the $20-for-$20 series, it promoted the coins as being legal tender for $20 - i.e., they could be spent at the store as $20 - so their issue price of $20 did not really include any markup/premium. You were basically exchanging $20 in one form for $20 in another.

The RCM eventually stopped the program after too many of the coins were returned, but it was an interesting experiment that was undercut by too many people buying the coins with a credit card, earning cash back on their purchase and then depositing the coins at their bank for $20. These folks were making money off the program and the RCM was losing it - it wasn't something it could continue!

Edited by commems
03/12/2021 8:08 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
84 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wannabfree to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These folks were making money off the program and the RCM was losing it - it wasn't something it could continue!

I really did not understand the $20 for $20 that you clarified for me and I thank you. I still think that $20 for less than 8 grams of silver more than covers for the cost of using a credit card for the purchase.
Learn More...
United States
98119 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2012 Canadian Silver $20 Christmas Deer
Very nice!
Page: of 42 Previous TopicReplies: 618 / Views: 30,882Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05