Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Photograph Your Coins?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 2,152Next Topic
Page: of 2
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2019  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canon 5D Mark IV & 100mm macro lens.

Off-camera flash with diffusion.

Tripod or c-stand depending on orientation of the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3339 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2019  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi MikeUK,

Welcome to the forum! Glad to see you chose to post in the photography subforum for your 2nd post.

I can't imagine a situation where I'd use a tripod if I already had a copy stand. Can you explain when you prefer tripod over copy stand? By "orientation" do you mean that if the coin is held other than horizontal, that you use a tripod? I'm just curious.

Ray
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Ray,

Thanks for the welcome! :)

I don't have a copy stand and as much as I'd like one, I've never taken the leap because it seems like they take up a bit more space than I'd like.

For the most part my c-stand is for top-down shots but in the past I've had people request an image of the coin stood on its edge and I'll use a tripod for that.

Mike
Pillar of the Community
United States
3339 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2019  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, then I don't understand what a c-stand is. Can you explain? I thought you were just shorthanding "copy-stand".
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A c-stand is a multi-purpose stand with a free-roaming arm attached to the main stand leg. It can be used for strobe lighting or cameras.

It's very versatile for studio work and a variety of different photo compositions that you can't really achieve with a tripod.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3339 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh, I should have googled it before asking. It's short for "Century Stand" and used for cinematography lighting setups, but it sounds useful for holding a camera as well. I see there are small versions available too. Thanks for pointing this out, I would never have known!
United Kingdom
11 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome! They're very versatile indeed.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 2,152Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05