Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Innovation Dollar Designs

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
5955 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@captainrich
The HoJo days!

@mellamobradley
Yes - the oil industry birth would have been a good option - but maybe that's not considered an invention per se? I don't know?

As to the Turnpike and polio vaccines not being consequential for modern Americans, ...well..sort of. The telegraph key doesn't do anything for us today, but it laid the foundation for telephones in general. Same situation with the PA Turnpike and the polio vaccine. That vaccine was a miracle of "modern" science when they finally conquered the disease. Polio used to be a VERY big deal and, thankfully, we don't even worry about it anymore..
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Earle42
I agree with you and those are good points, I was just speaking for the average American who would see a polio coin and not think it is really relevant. Maybe since these coins are going to be purchased mainly by coin collectors who likely skew towards history buffs, it isn't a concern.
Pillar of the Community
United States
967 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For NJ, I would have selected the transistor, a Bell Labs invention out of Murray Hill that won the Nobel Prize in Physics and enabled just about every electronic device in use today

Just MHO.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
GA
Trustees Garden is all Georgia can come up with? A garden planted during the settlement of the state that was turned into residences twenty years later. It had two major developments the peach tree and the cotton that became the major crop of the south. (Highlighting cotton though can be politically a problem.) The only one that focuses on both crops is number 3.

I lived in Savannah and have never heard of it. Designs 3 and 4 look better to me. I like the history of it, but perhaps something more well known could have been used. Perhaps Coke and RC Cola, but that might open the flood gates to advertising on US coinage.
Edited by Bret
04/17/2019 3:47 pm
Learn More...
United States
72350 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd even prefer recognizing Heinz perfecting packaged condiments!
Yes!
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2019  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For Delaware they should slap a pair of Betty Grable nylons on the woman who developed the star classification system. Kill two birds with one stone.

I can't imagine the pitting that will develop on the PA Turnpike coins after one winter.

I like the NJ one with the guy looking into the peep show box. You could use a little imagination and modify the other side of the coin.

For Georgia, just put the Allman Brothers Band on it. Talk about innovation!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9713 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can't imagine the pitting that will develop on the PA Turnpike coins after one winter.

haha...good one. Ah, the good ol' PA Turnpike. Spent many hours on that bad boy back in the day...

I can get behind some of those Delaware designs. I knew about Nylon being invented there (DuPont, anyone?), but I think the star classification system subject material is more romantic.
Learn More...
United States
72350 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Zing!

In the north there are only two seasons...

Winter and Road Work.
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2019  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

In another recent thread, I mentioned the celebrated coin commemorating the radial tire. When I went to the Delaware page, there was something almost as inspiring - the Invention of Nylon (yet another example of Life imitating Art). But instead of a curvaceous Ms. Liberty modeling a pair of stockings, it featured someone in a lab coat with a beaker.

Other things to commemorate (some more worthy than others):
Dewey Decimal system
(and Library of Congress classification system)
The SAT and other standardized tests
Figuring out the O-ring problem on the space shuttle
Geodesic domes
The Frisbee
Baseball and basketball
Jazz, R&B music, other music originating in the USA
Gorilla Glass, or safety glass in general
Proving that lucid dreaming is real
Nickel-clad copper coins
(with the added bonus of being self-referential)
The Advertising Industry
Lobbying
Circumventing the Geneva Convention
Websites monetizing their user data
One-click Internet shopping carts
Factory Farming
Auto-Tune
The concept of Catch-22
The discovery of "alternative facts"
The invention of plausible deniability
Adding "-gate" to a word to name a scandal
Credit Scores
Internet trolling
Cartoons and Comics
Stand-up comedy and/or sitcoms
Soap Operas
Edited by Pauldog
04/18/2019 10:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5955 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2019  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Pauldog

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2019  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle, are you laughing at that gorgeous coin (or its underestimated age of the anniversary, which is a valuable error), or at the topics?

More topics:
Feynman diagrams
chaos theory
slow food
fast food
light beer/the micro-brewing renaissance
The Internet/The Internet stock bubble/computer viruses/identity theft
the drive-in/drive-through
Vegas weddings/Vegas divorces
credit default swaps
NINJA mortgages (no income, no job, no assets, no problem!)
used car lots
surgery robots
the heart pacemaker
integrated circuits
rockabilly
the telephone
the telegraph
superheterodyne radio circuitry
infomercials
The Simpsons
celebrity presidents
the "Spruce Goose"/airplanes/helicopters/VTOL aircraft/drones
impossibly arcane airline fares
invasive searches at airports
X-ray specs and other novelties/carnivals
the phonograph
dog walking as a profession
rent-controlled apartments
skyscrapers
various poker variations
hobo nickels
"Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?"
(another self-referential one; put it on a dime rather than a dollar!)
the musical comedy
The Marx Brothers
The Three Stooges
TV game shows/reality shows
Muzak/"elevator music"/easy listening
Silicon Valley
televangelism
Edited by Pauldog
04/28/2019 03:37 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5955 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2019  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just joining in with the Michelin Tire Man's obvious chuckling in the pic!

And if you believe that I also have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale if interested (would make a good coin design also).

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2019  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any news on when we might get the first releases for the year? They have a good variety to make and the months are passing by.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3219 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2019  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's see...

DE5 - Effigy Mounds take 2. It will look nice in a sandblasted/mirror proof and terrible in circulation quality... luckily it won't circulate.

NJ2 - zoomed my screen to make it properly sized. Looks like a bald guy with his eyes closed and a finger in an electric outlet.

GA2 - lose the hand, although that's the only thing that make is innovation (had to research what was being shown to understand it).
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Learn More...
United States
72350 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks like a bald guy with his eyes closed and a finger in an electric outlet.
Oh, my!
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.07 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05