Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A White Whale And A Little Fish

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1199 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2019  6:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ever since I saw a friends left facing Domitian denarii I have wanted one. Well I finally got one. It is quite worn, true, but there is enough of a portrait left to be pleasing.
I am very excited to add this one to my collection. According to my friend all left facing portraits on Domitian's denarii are rare, but those on coins for him issued as Caesar are especially so. Also, this is a non-Minerva denarius. You can barely see SALVS on the reverse resting on a column. You cannot quite see the snake being fed.

Domitian as Caesar Denarius 79 to 24 June
18mm., 3,15g.
Obv:Head laureate l; CAESAR AVG F DOMITIANUS COS VI
Rev: Salus stg r resting on column feeding snake out of patera; PRICEPS IVVENTUTIS
RIC 1085 (R2)
Ex: Savoca Blue 19thauction April 21, 2019 Lot 1138

This next coin is listed as common but does not seem to be very common. I bought it because of the reverse. It is not Minerva it is SPES holding a flower. I did not have a Domitian with SPES and the price was right so I added this "little fish" as well.

Domitian as Caesar Denarius 75 CE
18mm., 3,21g
Obv: Head leaureate r; CAES AVG F DOMIT COS III
Rev: Spes stg l with flower; PRINCEPS IVVENTVT
RIC 788 [Vespasian]
Ex: Savoca Blue 19thauction April 21, 2019 Lot 1143

If you have made it this far...thank you. Please post your coins of Domitian or any coins where the portrait orientation makes the coin rare.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
United States
4262 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2019  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, Andrew. Always nice to read about your latest acquisitions. Speaking of which, I just stopped by the website. It's looking great. For those who may not know of Andrew's site, and who may want to "discover historical ancient Roman coins":
https://www.historicalancientromancoins.com/

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1199 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2019  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks Bob.
Learn More...
United States
22403 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2019  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent additions Andrew, I always enjoy seeing what new rarities you find. I wasn't aware of your site, thanks Bob for posting it. A beautiful put together site with lost of information that I will enjoy going through.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1199 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2019  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much Ron. I hope you will enjoy the site.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1415 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2019  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins as always orfew!

Great website, user friendly, with lots of information...I do like the way you give your own personal thoughts about each coin...Thanks for putting this together I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it and learnt a great deal in the process.....Paul
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1199 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2019  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much for the kind comments Paul. I am glad you liked the site.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05