Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Do So Many New Members Post Their Photos Sideways?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11082 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  9:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hang out some in the US Modern Coin Variety and Error sction of CCF and it feels like 20% of all noobs post their pics sideways. Of course no one does this purposefully, so I wonder what breakdown of technology permits this. For example, are these new users accesing CCF on their phones where the screen is auto-rotating for them, but not for us who are using computers? Is there maybe some magic re-orientation code which would automatically fix this or would it even be as simple as adding to the photo tutorial that you should hold your phone like "x" in order to ensure that the resulting pics will be posted rightside up?

Just wonderin'...
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are mostly the same people who don' t crop their photos either.
Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11082 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes fair point, but it seems to me that poorly lit, uncropped, and out of focus pics are people errors, while perfectly sideways pics might be a technology error (and therefore fixable).
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It happens to me only on my smartphone,not my laptop, but I also preview my posts to make sure.
Learn More...
United States
70929 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They do not do it on purpose. It is a problem with how the phone creates the image file versus how the forum reads it. Any images that are portrait will always display landscape. Long story short, blame vertical video idiots.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11082 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2019  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thx @jbuck.

Assuming that there is a computery reason for why this portrait to landscape conversion occurs, I'd like to recommend that our "how to post and upload" tutorial has an extra sentence added in there about taking pics with your phone held horizontally. Currently, we have a highlighted box that requests people orient their pics correctly, but we don't tell them how to actually accomplish this.
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9511 Posts
 Posted 04/27/2019  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can always use the free image optimizer to rotate it to the proper orientation too. I must admit I have to do that on occasion.
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2019  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I did it, I totally flaked the first time and didn't preview the post to check the pictures and make sure they were orientated properly. Rookie mistake. I think it's just not knowing. Also the first couple pictures posted were actually quite difficult for me to get done. That crop tool in the image optimizer is (at least for me) an unusable joke. I crop on an outside app where I can just drag the frame on my phone, rotate if necessary, make sure it's under 300kb then upload and save it to the forum instead. Optimiser used only to get the picture into the forum.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2019  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The optimizer is very helpful in getting your pics ready to post.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2634 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The optimizer is very helpful in getting your pics ready to post.
and it helps me rotate the pics too (they also often end up 90 degrees off for some reason).

The tricky part is that some of my old CCF uploads turn out to be 90 degrees off when I try to embed them in other places, such as Discord...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
35493 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember, you can always use the Preview feature to review your pics before you post.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2634 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Remember, you can always use the Preview feature to review your pics before you post.
OTOH, the Preview feature always shows the pics at full size in a fairly small window, which can be inconvenient if the pics are large.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11082 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes good point @j1m. I guess in the end it would be nice to provide another sentence or two of instruction to help new members be successful with their uploaded pics.
-----King Adz
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05