Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Terrific Tudors And Stunning Stuarts

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
2572 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mary I as sole ruler 1553-54. Undated groat (I see @paddy also posted one of these back on the first page). Took a gamble on the scratches, and they are less noticeable in hand than in photo.
Edited by tdziemia
08/11/2019 5:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2572 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any idea why no rulers ever appeared on the Angels?

I don't know the answer, but would observe that a number of other contemporary gold coins (circa 1500) also lacked a ruler's portrait: Italian florins, the French ecu, the Brabant florin.
Though I agree that generally speaking portraits were more common on English coins than either of these other places.
Learn More...
United States
78167 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mary I as sole ruler 1553-54. Undated groat (I see @paddy also posted one of these back on the first page). Took a gamble on the scratches, and they are less noticeable in hand than in photo.
Well done!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2074 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Took a gamble on the scratches, and they are less noticeable in hand than in photo.

For a scarce historical coin like that, which is well-struck on a nearly circular flan, mostly complete readable legends, clear portrait, and superb shield details, the light scratches become trivial.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2436 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few from my collection

Elizabeth sixpence

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2074 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2019  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coins! I especially like the 3 over 2 sixpence.
Learn More...
United States
78167 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
772 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few Stuart shillings. All Charles I, Tower (of London) mint.

Learn More...
United States
78167 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A few Stuart shillings. All Charles I, Tower (of London) mint.
Nice group!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2074 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful group Charles I shillings with nice round flans! Most of mine are clipped.
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Tom, that's a nice handful of shilling...
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
772 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2019  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all!

t360, yes, it's a challenge to find ones that are nice and round - particularly later ones - I think quality control rather went out the window as the political situation worsened! Those are of course, a selected handful! I have others, but not perhaps quite as pleasing to my eye. Another time for those perhaps. :)
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05