Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Terrific Tudors And Stunning Stuarts

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 104 / Views: 5,098Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
785 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I rephotographed this as it's currently one of my favourites. Charles I Tower mint shilling from the period the mint was under Parliamentary control (Charles had fled the capital earlier in the civil war).

The (P) privy mark dates it to between 29 May 1643 and 15 Jul 1644. I'm guessing it would have been early on since the bust design became cruder as time went on - presumably due to the difficulty of finding skilled engravers to make new dies.

Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tom, That's a stunning piece! Can we see the reverse?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
785 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both sides. Colour's a bit off on this and not so neat on the reverse I'm afraid.

Edited by Tom Goodheart
06/30/2020 6:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exceptional coin in my book... Thanks for sharing!
Learn More...
United States
88915 Posts
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Inspired me to post this one...

Learn More...
United States
88915 Posts
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slightly double struck on the reverse but here's one for the Stuarts... Enjoy!

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1156 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  03:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful shilling, the detail on the King's face is amazing!

Here is a better shot of my William Halfcrown. It's a 1697 as its Nono on the edge.

Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
785 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realise I didn't post this earlier. Another shilling of Charles I, Spink 2791, Sharp E2/2.

I've found it difficult to obtain nicer examples with the Tun privy mark (Tower mint 14 Feb 1636- 8 May 1638). They are either on odd shaped flans, weakly struck (particularly to the bust) or otherwise unattractive, so I feel this one isn't too bad, all things considered.

Some corrosion and a slightly ragged flan, lightly double struck to the obverse and a bit shiny*, making it a challenge to get a decent photograph, but I've done my best and it does at least have most of the edge beading and is full weight at 6.09g.

* Yes. I am extraordinarily fussy!
Edited by Tom Goodheart
07/28/2020 08:06 am
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tom,
Great piece... Congrats on your new acquisition!

Rickie
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
785 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, hope I don't get chucked out for this! Admin please feel free to remove if inappropriate. It's been tough finding coins for my collection recently. People are holding onto everything and anything nicer gets snapped up immediately. So I though I'd diversify a bit and, to complement my Charles I coins, pick up a medal or two that appeal to me.

So this is a piece struck in copper (some were also made in silver) and was designed by Thomas Rawlins who, early in the Civil War, followed the King from London to work at Charles' headquarters in Oxford.

Obverse shows the King wearing a laurel crown. The reverse features an olive branch crossed by a sword. The legend reads IN. VTRVM / QVE. PARATVS. meaning 'ready for either'.

The story goes that it was struck following the defeat of the Parliamentary garrison at Bristol by Prince Rupert. Charles, in talking to his Council asked them "to consider how these great blessings in war might be applied to the procuring a happy peace" and the medal presumably showed the King was prepared for whatever was to come as it's known as the "War & Peace" medal.

Rawlins continued to work for the King and was Chief Engraver at the Mint between 1647 and 1648, at which time he fled to France. He returned to England in 1652 and survived for a while making dies for tradesmen's tokens. Following the restoration of the monarchy, he was re-appointed Chief Engraver under Charles II.
Edited by Tom Goodheart
08/06/2020 08:25 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
58 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hibernianscribe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Charles I, second Briot coinage 1638/9 - anchor & mullet on obv., anchor on rev., 'CHISTO' not 'CHRISTO'.(N2306, S2860).

This is one of my better acquisitions that I have owned for about 3 years. The 'scratches' on the obverse are flan adjustment marks so do not detract from the grading.

This coin has the misspelled legend 'CHISTO' rather than 'CHRISTO' on the reverse, but so far I have found no academic reference to this variety although from the Pre-Decimal Forum a couple of years ago I was told it is known. However, whether this type is scarce or not I do not know - are there any opinions on this out there? I have scoured BNJ articles with no success, does anyone know where this die error might be recorded?

Frank
Edited by hibernianscribe
08/09/2020 12:16 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
58 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hibernianscribe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Slightly double struck on the reverse but here's one for the Stuarts... Enjoy!

Gosh, I'm so envious of this! It's not often that a James I portrait is this strong.
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 104 / Views: 5,098Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05