Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Terrific Tudors And Stunning Stuarts

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 120 / Views: 6,843Next Topic
Page: of 8
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1995 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2020  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely shilling and a good strike.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4194 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2020  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not a collector of British coins any longer, so I haven't posted here in a while, BUT my wife is a student of Tudor & Stuart history, and has a small OFER (One From Every Reign) collection which I help with.
For a very significant birthday, I just got her this ELizabeth shilling, minted 1594-96. Neither the auction photos nor these do the coin justice. The toning is lovely with a slight irridescence.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4194 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2020  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think @PaddyB also posted one of these upthread, but over a year ago. William and Mary 1689 Half Crown from my wife's Tudor/Stuart collection:

Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a Edward-VI Shilling... Enjoy!
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a great looking coin and an impressive photo as well!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1995 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am - a beautiful strike and a great portrait.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
789 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2020  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another 'compromise' coin. And another Sun privy mark (10 Nov 1645-15 Feb 1647) shilling of Charles I. This one issued a bit later then my previous post, although still from the period when Parliament controlled the Tower mint, and generally a very poor issue.

Curiously, it's not impossible to find the same bust design but with the (later) Sceptre mark both on a full round flan and well struck. Sadly, the Sun mark is a different matter entirely, coins are normally not struck centrally, with parts of the legend or mint mark missing and there is inevitably weakness to the design. My last example, which I kept for 16 years, was .. acceptable, but this is more central and full weight. Seller's pic for now due to Christmas post.

S.2802, Sharp H1/1. "type 4.5. Tall, coarse narrow bust" 6.0g

Edited by Tom Goodheart
12/27/2020 4:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2020  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exceptional piece Tom...
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1995 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2020  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I had added my "Jimmy" to this thread (Everywhere else on the Forum, but not here).

Enjoy

1687. Year 3 - cleaned in the past but almost Fine, a good example and first I have seen. Me being me I had to get it.

I am a nice and accommodating guy in most things, except in coin acquisition, where its every collector for themselves. The British acquisition thread explains my mini epic on how I got this piece.
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
789 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another boring old shilling of Charles I from me. This one with the Tun (barrel) mint mark. Spink 2791, Sharp E2/2.

Oddly, although Tun was widely used throughout all the coins of Group E and into Group F, it's very difficult to find it with the first two busts and particularly on nice looking coins.

This one is by no means perfect, but it is at least on a full flan with much of the edge beading visible. 5.98 g.

Sadly there's some corrosion to the edge in the first quarter, minor surface scratches and a few flaws that were in the flan before the coin was struck.

Despite this, it's still a reasonable example for the mint mark and more interesting in that the reverse mark is over the preceding Crown.

Since the changeover from Crown to Tun took place following that year's Trial of the Pyx on 8th May, we can be pretty certain that this particular coin was struck in the second or third week of May in 1638.

Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tom,
Very nice pickup... did you have any luck yesterday with the "North Yorkshire Moors Collection"? A lot of interesting Charles material that went way above my means! Later...
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 120 / Views: 6,843Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05