Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Terrific Tudors And Stunning Stuarts

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 132 / Views: 8,075Next Topic
Page: of 9
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I would post this little Halfgroat of Henry-VII. Hope everyone enjoy their weekend...
Rickie

Learn More...
United States
99400 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2021  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought I would post this little Halfgroat of Henry-VII. Hope everyone enjoy their weekend...
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2495 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2021  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love it and it shows the imperial crown that Henry wore.

Great coin and lots of history.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
796 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, might get shot down for this but it's Stuart and I think it's stunning, it's just not a coin! Royalist badge of Charles I. On it's way to me as I type and I'm a bit excited about it!

English Civil War period, probably dating from around 1644 according to Farquhar and designed by Thomas Rawlins when he, the King and the Queen were all in Oxford.

Bare headed bust of Charles I to obverse, reverse of Queen Henrietta Maria. Signed T.RAWLINS.F below.

Cast silver, chased and gilt. 1 inches (43mm) at longest side, including the suspension loops (to allow it to be worn on a cord or sewn into clothing). 'Somewhat rare'.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
605 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice indeed! You are forgiven...
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
796 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Sir!
Learn More...
United States
99400 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most definitely going to let this slide in. Very nice addition!
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sjkrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tom, Exceptional Piece... Thanks for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
796 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2021  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just an update now my badge has arrived to show the size. Quite pleased with this, although it's clearly had some wear, that was after all the purpose of it. Most of the gilding is intact with just a bit of wear to the high points. About a UK VF, with the reverse better. Possibly the weakness to the obverse is that it's from a later casting. Weighs a little over 11g, (0.4 ounces for those that still use them) so feels solid in the hand.

I've managed to track it back to a 2013 Davissons sale (it was in another two subsequent sales through UK auction houses) but at the moment, no earlier.

It did come with a loop for suspension, though I suspect this is modern as it looks like rolled gold* and doesn't fit the tray too well, so I've left it off. Anyway, a nice complementary item to my collection of Charles I shillings.

*Edit. On closer inspection, the loop is solid and un-hallmarked and so appears to be more or less contemporary with the badge itself (though it's a slightly redder gold). Now, if I can just find some provenance to a collector prior to 2013, I'll be very happy!

Edited by Tom Goodheart
04/10/2021 07:02 am
Learn More...
United States
99400 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
796 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2021  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I didn't get booted off for the last post and haven't found any shillings to add to my collection so here's my latest purchase, another Charles I supporter's badge. Hope it's ok.

MI 355/216 is the reference. 11.44g of silver. 38mm x 29 mm. Dating from (approximately) 1642. From a design by Thomas Rawlins, chief engraver to the king [from 1647].

Little bit of repair work at 6 o'clock, probably from when the suspension loops were removed in antiquity.

Edited by Tom Goodheart
05/08/2021 10:00 am
Learn More...
United States
99400 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2021  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive!

Still tangentially related to the topic as well.
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 132 / Views: 8,075Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05