Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

British Trade Dollar Chopmarks Authentic?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  10:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ksammut to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Are these Chopmarks on my 1911 British Trade dollar? Thanks!

Young Numismatist - You are welcome to visit and subscribe to my vlog/blog - http://numismaticswithkenny.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
3881 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is an army surplus store here, that has an abundance of '11 trades, just like yours, with similar chops.

Some even contain silver. I'd really like to see a close-up of just the imprints.
Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ksammut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is probably as close as I'll ever get. Hopefully this works.

Young Numismatist - You are welcome to visit and subscribe to my vlog/blog - http://numismaticswithkenny.com
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
966 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best to start with "is your Trade dollar authentic" and then worry if the marks are authentic. How much does it weigh, is it attracted to a magnet, etc?

In the most basic sense, chops are small test punches used to check if the surface was a thin silver plating over a base metal core. If that's what these marks are, then perhaps someone felt the need to check the surface -- another reason to spend some time authenticating the host.
Edited by jgenn
05/12/2019 12:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ksammut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I checked the weight and it weighs correctly at 26.9 grams. I'm pretty sure the coin is authentic, however, I'm not so positive about the Chopmarks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
966 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well they don't look like they were made yesterday. There are books and a chopmark collectors club that could provide more info.

I think these are not easy to authenticate, unlike official countermarks, especially given the basic shape. Coins with many chops appear to have been marked every time they were presented as proof that the coin was checked. However, you can draw the conclusion that just having a mark was not proof enough to pass without being checked, so what would be the point to fake a chop (as in a contemporary fake)? If it was a recent attempt to give a "details" coin some more value, I would expect a copy of a more interesting chop.

I would conclude that the mark is authentic if the host is authentic.

Please share what you learn if you do check out some of the references.

Edited by jgenn
05/12/2019 1:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3881 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I knew of a wersite, long forgotten, that IDd chops. I'll try to find it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05