Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1882-S Double Date VAM

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
860 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2008  04:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add desertgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Well another that I can't fit in very well. Best fit seems to be VAM-28, but the s/s MM ? is tough to photograph. I think I can see it under the stereoscope, when I tilt the coin.The mm seems slightly leaning to the left. Again, the die chip on the first "8" similar to the 1881-S previous post, but only on right. Would appreciate any suggestions or observations.

Thanks

Jim

Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2008  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
desertgem, I'm leaning toward a Vam16. Need to see a close up of tail feathers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
860 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2008  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add desertgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I eliminated that one based on the lines being missing on the tail feather, but I need practice
so I took a photo. Appreciate the suggestion.

Jim

Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2008  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
desertgem, the arrow at the bottom of 2, is it pointing at a die chip? 2 appears to be slightly higher from denticles than 1. Can't see the the bar in lower loop of mintmark. Also mintmark has slight tilt to left. Still leaning to Vam16, maybe an earlier die state, prior to die gouge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
860 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2008  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add desertgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Yes there is a raised round area there, probably from a chip. I will rethink my
consideration on 16. I arranged all of my morgans and peaces ( maybe a hundred) and
decided I was going to go through and identify the VAM. The first dates were easy,
But then the enviable frustration of more study and research . Found some more
fun ones, but don't want to irritate people by posting these too often.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2008  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jim, go ahead and irritate us. That's what this section is all about. I've had to change some 2 or 3 times as revisions are made, some deleted, etc. It's all part of the fun.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1794 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2008  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rockdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking it's MDD on the numbers and die chip or am I missing something? Still learning.
Edited by rockdude
09/15/2008 11:53 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2008  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rockdude, I look at a lot of my Morgans and they appear more like Strike Doubling than a doubled die. Sometimes you just have to give in to the more knowing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1794 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2008  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rockdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just questioning it because it's my way of learning. I have several Morgans and will be looking more closely now. Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
1794 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2008  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rockdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05