Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ant Infested Uncirculated Sets

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36438 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to laugh at this, really. You couldn't make this up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1495 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can you slab the ants?

I slabbed several hundred of them with one blow.
- About two score and seven+ years ago, I began a Lincoln cent collection. I have all, most in AU or better & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, the Lincoln cent debuted in 1909, and after that it just seemed like a good way to show the evolution of US coinage. Most non-nums to whom I've shown these react with the phrase, "I had no idea!" That alone shows their worth.
- I've completed MS sets of Jeffersons & MS specimens of other 5 nickels; Franklins done. Roosies mostly done. I enjoy hunting for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.
-- If I left my early Washington quarter book at one of y'alls house, please ring me up.
ANA Lifer #: 6565
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of my coworkers would have eaten those ants. Just sayin...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9659 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This thread has me rolling.
Edited by CelticKnot
05/22/2019 9:20 pm
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received mine today, I opened it with some trepidation, happy to say ant free!

Learn More...
United States
71927 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Can you slab the ants?
I slabbed several hundred of them with one blow.
Excellent!
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's crazy!

Quote:
Some of my coworkers would have eaten those ants. Just sayin...

These guys are your coworkers?
Learn More...
United States
71927 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4061 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  10:17 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That __ant_ just right
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Opened and inspected everything, no ants anywhere! They look like pavement ants, could well have come from somewhere along the shipping route.

On a side note, I ordered a sliver proof set and a mint set for updating my albums. The two W cents looks nice but the rest of the coins are disappointing. All in the 63-66 range, no PL coins and much lower quality than the ones in the coin explorer sets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1495 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biedercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what species they were, but they don't look local. I'm a retired biologist so I know a little about ants. Seriously, what struck me as strange [obviously it's all strange] is that I could tell they'd been in there awhile. There was fecal material (crap) segregated in one area, and there were developing larvae among the functional adults.

The packages came from the Memphis distribution center. Does anybody know the timing of striking, packaging, storing, and shipping these sets? How long had they been sitting in a Memphis warehouse? Time enough for ants to find a home in the pasteboard and set up shop? They seemed to be really enjoying the adhesive holding the boxes closed. My wife was the first one to pick up the packages and she said there was something sticky on them. So many variables...

Beside not feeling well this week, I haven't even bothered contacting the Mint yet for a couple reasons: #1, I'm still angry about the whole thing, so I'm not going to take it out on the Customer Service employee whose fault it is not, and #2, if no one else reports insect problems they're just going to think I'm some crazy guy who wants something. So, I'm wide open to suggestions. In the grand scheme of the hobby this is just a blip. However, if the US Mint has a warehousing problem they should probably know about it.

Watch your boxes, watch the Numismatic News outlets and let us know if anything else turns up.

- About two score and seven+ years ago, I began a Lincoln cent collection. I have all, most in AU or better & am upgrading to MS as possible.
- I collect all coins minted 1809, 1859, 1909, 1959, and 2009. Lincoln and C.Darwin were both born in 1809. The latter published his "On the Origin of Species.." in 1859, the Lincoln cent debuted in 1909, and after that it just seemed like a good way to show the evolution of US coinage. Most non-nums to whom I've shown these react with the phrase, "I had no idea!" That alone shows their worth.
- I've completed MS sets of Jeffersons & MS specimens of other 5 nickels; Franklins done. Roosies mostly done. I enjoy hunting for WLH and "winged liberty" dimes.
-- If I left my early Washington quarter book at one of y'alls house, please ring me up.
ANA Lifer #: 6565
Pillar of the Community
United States
902 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To recap:

1. Order nominally pristine sets of beautiful uncirculated coins, direct from the United States mint.

2. Receive in the mail a box full of
Quote:
fecal material
and
Quote:
developing larvae among the functional adults

Edited by llewellin
05/23/2019 2:37 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36438 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in tears.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4425 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got mine on Tuesday. They were free of ants and the coins were nice!

The infestation probably happed before the trailer was even loaded. My best guess would be a FedEx semi trailer was parked for a couple of weeks in the Southern States somewhere and the ants crawled up in it and decided to call it home. Once the trailer was positioned for loading the ants became active and took up a defensive position in your shipping box when it was loaded That was gonna be their new home. Most likely there was rainwater in the trailer and the tape/glue was the food ..... yummy! Looks like they had a good time on the road trip!

At least it wasn't a family of skunks, mice or something worse!
Learn More...
United States
71927 Posts
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05