Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

10 Lovely But Worn Roman Denarii All In A Lot.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8005 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  10:18 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A dealer whom I trade with in a private group offered this lot and I picked it up to expand my collection a bit. It will be fun to go through and ID these once they are here in a few days, but I saw both female and male busts so at least it's a well-represented group if not the highest of grades!

In the meantime, here's my ten new little Romans to ponder. I'll attribute them once in-hand.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Learn More...
United States
22338 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2019  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a bad little group of silver.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15414 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice little lot.
Would have a value of perhaps $15 each unidentified, but
with full identification, could have a value of $30+ each.

Can have lots of fun with this sort of lot.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5572 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a bad lot for attribution practice!
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11407 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not a bad lot for attribution practice!

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
3751 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that from a romantic standpoint, there's something alluring about coins that clearly were extensively used in the commerce of the day as opposed to going from the mint almost directly into a hoard....

Colligo ergo sum
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stick them all in your pocket for a day and see how a well paid Roman felt for a weeks work.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8005 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  03:06 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was able to successfully (!) attribute them all although it took 3-4 hours!

1. Faustina II (Antoninus) AR Denarius. 161-175
RIC 515b. 2.7g, 19.0mm
FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL / V E NVS
Venus with apple in right hand, dolphin-entwined rudder in left; dove at right of feet

2. Faustina II (Antoninus) AR Denarius. 161-175
RIC 517c1. 2.8G, 18.5mm.
FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL / VE NVS
Venus with apple in right hand, dolphin-entwined rudder in left

3. Faustina II (Aurelius) AR Denarius. 170-175
RIC 669c. 2.6g, 17.5mm. Rated RR
FAVSTINA AVGVSTA / C E RES
Ceres seated left on cista, two sheaves of grain in right hand, long torch in left, clothing behind left arm

4. Faustina II (Aurelius) AR Denarius. 170-175
RIC 677. 2.7g, 17.5mm.
FAVSTINA AVGVSTA / FECUN DITAS
Fecunditas standing right, infant in left hand, sceptre in right

5. Faustina II (Aurelius) AR Denarius. 170-175
RIC 688. 2.5g, 19.2mm.
FAVSTINA AVGVSTA / I U NO
Juno standing and facing left, patera in right hand, sceptre in left; peacock to left of feet.

6. Commodus AR Denarius. ~180-181 (COS 3)
RIC III 12. 2.5g, 16.9mm
M COMMODVS ANTONINVS AVG / TR P VI IMP IIII COS III P P
Roma, helmeted and draped, seated and facing left on shield. Victory in right hand, spear in left.

7. Commodus AR Denarius. ~183-184 (COS 4)
RIC III 74. 2.7g, 17.6mm
M COMMODVS ANTON AVG PIVS / P M TR P VIIII IMP VI COS IIII P P
Felicitas standing and facing left, caduceus in right hand and sceptre in left; modius left of feet.

8. Commodus AR Denarius. ~185 (COS 5)
RIC III 129. 2.9g, 17.5mm
M COMM ANT P FEL AVG BRIT / FEL AVG P M TR P XI IMP VII COS V P P
Felicitas standing and facing left, victory in right hand, long-winged caduceus in left.

9. Commodus AR Denarius. ~189
RIC III 198a. 3.1g, 19.8mm.
M COMM ANT P FEL AVG BRIT PP / CONCORDIAE COMMODI AVG
Concordia standing left, patera in right hand and scepter in left.

10. Commodus AR Denarius. ~192 (COS 9)
RIC III 241b (star in right reverse field). 1.9g, 17.2mm
L AEL AVREL COMM AVG P FEL / LIB AVG P M TR P XVIII COS VIIII P P
Libertas standing left, pileus in right hand and rod in left.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
05/25/2019 03:10 am
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely done. That's why attributed coins are worth more
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1904 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful lot for fun, research, and relaxation. Congrats!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15414 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have doubled the value of your investment !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8005 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  10:43 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I did just hold them in my hand and listen to them "ring" a bit :P

Paid $150 for the lot, shipped.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1189 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice group! I love attributing coins.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05