Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wooden Nickles, And Other Ply Money

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3824 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2019  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple more -

Colligo ergo sum
Learn More...
United States
73511 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2463 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2019  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it's backkkk!

Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2019  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Standfast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Well, it isn't a typical wooden nickel, but it's the closest thing that I have.

43mm

Learn More...
United States
73511 Posts
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennywise142 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A brief history of wooden nickels, subject to correction by more well informed heads than mine.

Although it is believed that wooden scrip may have been used as early as 1880 the practice seems to have gotten its foothold in the Pacific Northwest in the early 1900's. The earliest reference I can find is that late in 1931 the Citizen Bank in Tenino, Washington failed forcing the merchants to travel about 30 miles in hazardous conditions to obtain change. To remedy this the Chamber of Commerce authorized the local newspaper to issue "flats" made out of local pine to use instead.

Two years later in Blaine Washington their bank also failed. They also issued "flats" but there had been complaints that "flats" were easily damaged and thereby rendered unredeemable. Their answer was to issue more durable wooden rounds as well. Several other town followed suit, again mostly in the Pacific Northwest.

I'm unaware of any official position taken by the U.S. Government on this practice.

The first place to issue wooden rounds as souvenirs was The 1933 "Century of Progress" World's Fair in Chicago. Like the official Nickel of the day it featured the image of a Native American on the obverse. This probably led to the common use of similar images on many of the later issues, especially those used to mark historical celebrations.

Wooden Nickels have evolved into to a wide variety of uses, souvenirs of community celebrations, admission tickets to "olde time" events, advertising, promotion of worthy causes, and even coupons for um...... a refreshing beverage. It is not uncommon to find issues used by coin clubs to mark their membership events.

The meaning of the phrase "Don't take any Wooden Nickels." is a generally taken as a warning to be careful of frauds and cheats. It is thought that its origin probably predates Wooden Nickels themselves. On the other hand some believe it came about because Wooden Nickels often had an expiration date. When given out as change at a business establishment the recipient would risk losing the monetary value if they waited too long. Further, unscrupulous merchants would give them in change after the expiration date had already passed.

In 1938 J. R. Rogers Co. Located in Fostoria Ohio received a copyright on their design for Wooden Nickels and were arguably the most abundantly circulated during those early years. Today, there are still several companies making Wooden Nickels commercially.

Circus, Thanks for starting this thread. I enjoy seeing the examples posted here. If it's ok with you I'll post a few of mine when I get ...
Edited by Pennywise142
07/12/2019 12:45 pm
Learn More...
United States
73511 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1735 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just a few I collected over the years but never used!

Learn More...
United States
73511 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just a few I collected over the years but never used!
Nice group!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2463 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By all means post any ply money, Here is the infamous Tenino flat. Here is mine this is third series 1933

It is still printed today
some goofus is selling one like the above for $8,000 plus 5.95 shipping on Amazon
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articl...wooden-money
Edited by Circus
07/12/2019 5:30 pm
Learn More...
United States
73511 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2019  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is the infamous Tenino flat. Here is mine this is third series 1933
Very nice!
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennywise142 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to see the Tenino flat, Circus!

Here's my oldest. A flat made for a 1940 semiquincentennial. It was produced by the company mentioned in my previous post.

Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennywise142 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Made for a Coin Club celebration in 1967

Learn More...
United States
73511 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's my oldest. A flat made for a 1940 semiquincentennial. It was produced by the company mentioned in my previous post.

Quote:
Made for a Coin Club celebration in 1967
Nice examples!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3824 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems likely that this was made by the same supplier that put out the example with which this thread started.

Colligo ergo sum
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05