Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943 P LWC Steel Cent At 2.99 Grams

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3426 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  3:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While searching through a mixed bag of cents I came across this 1943 P LMC steel cent. I weigh all of these things and this one is extra heavy at 2.99 grams. My scale is accurate as the ones I have weighed go from 2.63 to 2.75. And yes, it is slightly magnetic. it will stick to an earth magnet. Extra heavy planchet? I know the +- is .13.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39099 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2.7 is a normal one. So it may have been reprocessed and added plating to the surface, or it could be heavy from the residue on the coin. The coin should jump to the magnet.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3426 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The top steel cent weighs 2.63 gms the bottom cent is the one that weighs 2.99 gms. Thicknesses are identical. Mr. Coop, there isn't anything more on this cent than usual. Here are some closeups as well. I do not feel this cent was reprocessed as I have many that have been and you can visibly see the added layer after reprocessing and the weight difference is not even close to the ones that have been. Even cents that have been reprocessed weigh about 2.75 gms.

Edited by Jim0815
05/21/2019 3:47 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15753 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What bothers me is the "slightly magnetic" A steel cent should be HIGHLY magnetic. It should jump to a rare earth magnet from about a half inch or more away.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3426 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Condor, it doesn't come up to the magnet until it is about a 1/4 of an inch away. I plan on taking it to a jeweler at some point and have them put it under a spectrometer. But for now I am going to chalk it up to a grossly thick stock planchet.
Edited by Jim0815
05/22/2019 2:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
702 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If that gunk on the coin is some sort of a buildup with a lot of lead particles, it could be reducing the magnetism as well as increasing the weight of the coin. Like say it was sitting in old engine oil from the 1940s or 50s with heavy bearing wear, that surface gunk could contain elevated levels of lead, cadmium, copper, arsenic, a whole host of heavy metals as well as chemicals built up in a layer of dried sludge on the coins surface reducing it's magnetic reactions.

Not saying it what it is, but just saying something like that is a possibility.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3426 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of zinc plated cents will naturally turn from gray to almost black through circulation. I have many many steel cents that exhibit the same darkness and weigh about .25 - .30 grams less. There is no more zinc buildup on this cent than on any of the others I have. The rim to fields distance is also pretty much the same. I am pleasantly stumped with this cent. The heaviest one I've ever weighed was 2.88 grams. There was one on another site that went 2.90 grams.
Edited by Jim0815
05/22/2019 3:35 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05