Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1799 Draped Bust Dollar On Greatcollections. How'd It Straight Grade?

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After looking closely at the enlarged digital images on the auction site I'm left to pose a few thoughts/questions. Most third party graders offer conservations services at which point they would straight grade it. Perhaps that is the case here. Whether conserved or cleaned, in both instances the surfaces would be altered.

Another point brought up is market acceptable. In my mind that is a broad term at best. Whether a coin straight grades or detail grades, if it receives multiple offers is that not acceptable in the market place? The individual who buys this will most likely value it beyond a dollar amount. So to me, those words seem to apply only to the advanced collector who seeks the very best/rarest. Or the investor type looking to profit down the road.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3264 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone noticed the diamond shaped raised area on the reverse next to the wing at 3:00? It shows on both PCGS and GC photos. My guess it's a die chip. I've actually gotten some of my best deals from auctions with lousy pics, but counting on the TPG grade being accurate, and ultimately the coin being a lot better than pictures showed.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12007 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most third party graders offer conservations services at which point they would straight grade it.

There's no guarantee of a straight grade when using their conservation services
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
342 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Check AES's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has anyone noticed the diamond shaped raised area on the reverse next to the wing at 3:00?

I don't see anything odd between wing/end of the banner and rim at 3:00.

Is there a consensus that the difference it just an over-lighted auction photo? It appears to have had the patina stripped off with acid between photos.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12007 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It appears to have had the patina stripped off with acid between photos.

Which is impossible for a coin that's already in a new PCGS slab which are water resistant as well so that leaves just the photography
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18056 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over my price range.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15393 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks a million times better in the PCGS pics.

Matter of opinion. If I was bidding on it I would bid based on what appears to be a dipped out bust dollar and would be expecting it to be that when it arrived. When it arrived looking like the PCGS picture I would not be happy. It may be more "original", but it is also terminally ugly.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12007 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Matter of opinion. If I was bidding on it I would bid based on what appears to be a dipped out bust dollar and would be expecting it to be that when it arrived. When it arrived looking like the PCGS picture I would not be happy. It may be more "original", but it is also terminally ugly.

I wouldn't expect it to be dipped out just because I know how GC pictures can be, but I wouldn't have expected such a big discrepancy either. I'm actually surprised that the consignor didn't have the pictures redone with that kind of discrepancy
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As a side note, these types of threads are considered in poor taste during an active auction...

By whom?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36740 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must agree - these comments are EXACTLY what we need during an open auction.

Of what better use could this forum be?
Edited by Coinfrog
05/27/2019 9:49 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12007 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
By whom?

By the numismatic community.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36740 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The numismatic community?

Please cite any credible reference that suggests that an inter-auction exchange of opinions is inappropriate.

Edited by Coinfrog
05/27/2019 9:59 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12007 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The numismatic community?

Please cite any credible reference that suggests that an inter-auction exchange of opinions is inappropriate.

Should I go through all the member listings and promotions and approach them in the same way?

If you wouldn't want it done to your consignment/listing you shouldn't do it to others especially when you haven't seen the coin in hand and the person isn't familiar with the series.
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Should I ...

Thanks for the answer.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12007 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the record, I would never do that I was just using that as an example of the equivalent. If there's an obvious issue such as a fake or variety issue that is one thing, but many people withhold their thoughts until an actual auction has ended when dealing with nationwide auction houses and top grading companies. Raw coins and shady establishments are fair game
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05