Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Who Uses Whitman Folders? Holes Always Seem Too Small?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
589 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  10:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had a few Whitman Folders in the past and now some newer ones. The holes are always too small. I have to work the hole bigger to get a coin in.

Is there some kind of trick to these I'm missing?
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had the same problem with Whitman Kennedy Book 1988 to 2005. In fact, I would put the book on the floor and use my weight to get the coins in. No luck. I changed over to a H.E. Harris & Co book without any fit issues.
Edited by carlp007
05/27/2019 11:23 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1668 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, there is a trick. Gotta push in the edge downward first at the bottom, then pop it in. I found the quarters folders to be the most difficult.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3253 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
aristarchus123 describes the technique well.
"Feel the snap!" was Whitman's slogan.
I had the opposite problem....my coins were SO worn
that they would fall out of the hole.
(My folders were from the sixties.)

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11820 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion folders are for newbies first getting into the hobby . To the avid coin collector folders serve no cents ( pun intended ). Unable to view reverse , pain in the neck pressing into tight hole and toning the reverse of the coin usually in a bad way .
As you get more into collecting you'll want to not only upgrade your coins but also upgrade to coin albums . More expensive but you won't regret it ; Totally different animal . There are different brand albums out there but I like Whitman blue covers . others like Dansco & Lighthouse .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4170 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no reason to put higher grade coins in a Whitman. After all, you want to admire both sides.
I put together a couple of Whitman folders a month, as gifts to YNs, so they'll hopefully upgrade to an album with better pieces. After forceably seating
the bottom in, I angle a shot-glass and 'roll' upwards. This gets the job done
& saves my thumbs.
Edited by fioti
05/27/2019 2:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6119 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to have all mine in Whitman's. I stored them in what I thought was aitright conditions. Many years later I took them out, unwrapped them, and every coin with a BU front had no luster on the back. I stopped using them for anything not circulated. In fact I have not put another coin into one opting for 2X2s instead.

I also now do not put coins (permanently) with luster in Dansco albums or anything that will have cardboard touching the coin since I am now thinking it was ambient humidity in the cardboard that ruined my coins.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18637 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All such problems are good reasons to switch to Albums.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11820 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah but Carl ,Albums have cardboard too . I have only used albums for my high grade Circulated 1909-1940 Lincolns . All the rest of my coins are loose leaf binders .
Hopefully some day someone will come out with an Album with no paper ,cardboard or PVC , especially made for Gem Bu coins .
Pillar of the Community
United States
611 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hopefully some day someone will come out with an Album with no paper ,cardboard or PVC , especially made for Gem Bu coins

Capital holders?
Edited by joecoin
06/02/2019 08:42 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11820 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joe , I said Albums not holders . We all know there are plenty of those out there .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1107 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use snap lock 2x2s myself, but if I were just starting out on a collection and wanted it to be an album, then I would probably go with a CAPS album. They're a bit on the expensive side but from what others say they offer excellent protection and viewing.
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  11:17 am  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hopefully some day someone will come out with an Album with no paper ,cardboard or PVC , especially made for Gem Bu coins.

I believe CAPS Albums meet this criteria but they are rather large.
Pillar of the Community
United States
611 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Joe , I said Albums not holders . We all know there are plenty of those out there .

Details, details.

Drill three holes along the edge of a Capital holder and put it in a binder!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10084 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only folder I have is a old cent Whitman folder that I inherited and I've left the cents as-is. My wife collects the ATB Quarters in a folder as well. Everything else I have is in a Whitman Classic album, Dansco album, or CAPS album.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11820 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Drill three holes along the edge of a Capital holder and put it in a binder!

Just not the same !
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05