Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Who Uses Whitman Folders? Holes Always Seem Too Small?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,096Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
605 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  10:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had a few Whitman Folders in the past and now some newer ones. The holes are always too small. I have to work the hole bigger to get a coin in.

Is there some kind of trick to these I'm missing?
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had the same problem with Whitman Kennedy Book 1988 to 2005. In fact, I would put the book on the floor and use my weight to get the coins in. No luck. I changed over to a H.E. Harris & Co book without any fit issues.
Edited by carlp007
05/27/2019 11:23 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1679 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, there is a trick. Gotta push in the edge downward first at the bottom, then pop it in. I found the quarters folders to be the most difficult.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
aristarchus123 describes the technique well.
"Feel the snap!" was Whitman's slogan.
I had the opposite problem....my coins were SO worn
that they would fall out of the hole.
(My folders were from the sixties.)

Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13411 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion folders are for newbies first getting into the hobby . To the avid coin collector folders serve no cents ( pun intended ). Unable to view reverse , pain in the neck pressing into tight hole and toning the reverse of the coin usually in a bad way .
As you get more into collecting you'll want to not only upgrade your coins but also upgrade to coin albums . More expensive but you won't regret it ; Totally different animal . There are different brand albums out there but I like Whitman blue covers . others like Dansco & Lighthouse .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4208 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no reason to put higher grade coins in a Whitman. After all, you want to admire both sides.
I put together a couple of Whitman folders a month, as gifts to YNs, so they'll hopefully upgrade to an album with better pieces. After forceably seating
the bottom in, I angle a shot-glass and 'roll' upwards. This gets the job done
& saves my thumbs.
Edited by fioti
05/27/2019 2:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6272 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to have all mine in Whitman's. I stored them in what I thought was aitright conditions. Many years later I took them out, unwrapped them, and every coin with a BU front had no luster on the back. I stopped using them for anything not circulated. In fact I have not put another coin into one opting for 2X2s instead.

I also now do not put coins (permanently) with luster in Dansco albums or anything that will have cardboard touching the coin since I am now thinking it was ambient humidity in the cardboard that ruined my coins.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19315 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All such problems are good reasons to switch to Albums.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13411 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah but Carl ,Albums have cardboard too . I have only used albums for my high grade Circulated 1909-1940 Lincolns . All the rest of my coins are loose leaf binders .
Hopefully some day someone will come out with an Album with no paper ,cardboard or PVC , especially made for Gem Bu coins .
Pillar of the Community
United States
718 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hopefully some day someone will come out with an Album with no paper ,cardboard or PVC , especially made for Gem Bu coins

Capital holders?
Edited by joecoin
06/02/2019 08:42 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13411 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joe , I said Albums not holders . We all know there are plenty of those out there .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1174 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use snap lock 2x2s myself, but if I were just starting out on a collection and wanted it to be an album, then I would probably go with a CAPS album. They're a bit on the expensive side but from what others say they offer excellent protection and viewing.
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hopefully some day someone will come out with an Album with no paper ,cardboard or PVC , especially made for Gem Bu coins.

I believe CAPS Albums meet this criteria but they are rather large.
Pillar of the Community
United States
718 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Joe , I said Albums not holders . We all know there are plenty of those out there .

Details, details.

Drill three holes along the edge of a Capital holder and put it in a binder!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10437 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only folder I have is a old cent Whitman folder that I inherited and I've left the cents as-is. My wife collects the ATB Quarters in a folder as well. Everything else I have is in a Whitman Classic album, Dansco album, or CAPS album.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13411 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Drill three holes along the edge of a Capital holder and put it in a binder!

Just not the same !
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,096Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05