Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Collecting Those Innovation Dollars?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 88 / Views: 5,972Next Topic
Page: of 6
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18579 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2019  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
KK has said it right!
I have about 120 different Australian commemorative coins all taken at face value from pocket change.
Pillar of the Community
United States
908 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  01:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought 2 of the 2018 proofs from the mint. But I am on the fence if I will continue to acquire these or not. javascript:insertsmilie('')
It would be nice if they are included in the annual proof or mint sets, but that probably won't happen. javascript:insertsmilie('')
It would also be nice if they would issue them as true circulation coins. But that will never happen as long as there are $1 bills. javascript:insertsmilie('')
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  05:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Standfast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just picked up a 2018 business strike that was slabbed at an NGC & PMG FUN show reception. The only bummer is that it isn't graded. Instead, it has SAMPLE where the grade should be. I can't really pin down a value, but at least I know it's legit.

I got it for the novelty of it, but I'll admit, now I want the 2019. It's a sickness.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1713 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am collecting them and as of right now have a complete set.

Quote:
It would be nice if they are included in the annual proof or mint sets, but that probably won't happen.

I don't mind them not including them in the annual sets as they're not meant to be circulating coins. Not including them keeps the mintages down. I do wish they'd offer a set of the uncirculated ones instead of having to get them from rolls.
Edited by Bret
06/03/2019 2:15 pm
Learn More...
United States
101029 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am collecting them and as of right now have a complete set.

Quote:
I don't mind them not including them in the annual sets as they're not meant to be circulating coins. Not including them keeps the mintages down.
Good point.

Quote:
I do wish they'd offer a set of the uncirculated ones instead of having to get them from rolls.
Agreed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1128 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The response to this post has been somewhat of a surprise in that most seem middle of the road leaning towards favorability on the forthcoming series. Without sounding contradictory, I would like to expand on the initial post with what I feel is wrong with this new series.

The first coin design represents the U.S. Patent Office. Why then does it appear to represent our first President, George Washington, rather than that of the first person issued a patent? Second, as to the coin, I think we could all agree it is lacking in overall design and thought. Entirely too much open space on the obverse and edge lettering (particularly the mint marks) which would easily fill such void. So there is definite room for improvement to be made.

However, my only real complaint does not lie there, it resides with the Mint executives who control the release of each. To agree with some of the above replies, I find it confusing as to why such a late year release date and more importantly that these will not see release to the Federal Reserve system for circulation. At least in the foreseeable future. To me this seems as a hidden agenda to cover the short fall gap for the cent and nickel when the books are balanced at years end. Not that I have a problem with a premium mind you. Just saying. With the quarter programs soon to expire a huge flow of income will surely evaporate. And I don't think they fully understand that yet.

So what I'm putting out there in all the rambling is simple. Following the Statehood program the United States Mint will by all accounts continue looking for other multi-year replacements. The challenge is that there must always be a balance between new collector and existing or both the Mint and hobby take a hit.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why then does it appear to represent our first President, George Washington, rather than that of the first person issued a patent?

It doesn't represent George Washington, it represents the first patent, which was signed by Washington. Even says so at the bottom of the coin.

Quote:
I find it confusing as to why such a late year release date

They don't have final designs yet, and it's taking them forever to figure out designs. Can't mint coins until they know what design to stamp.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1479 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as the first coin reverse proof. I received a catalog from the mint in the mail today and it shows later in 2019 they are releasing g a reverse proof version of the 2018 introductory coin. It's product code 18GE.

I checked the website and it's not on there yet.
I may collect them afterall, although I think the $6.95 per proof coin is a bit steep....
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kuiming to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I plan on buying bags of them & putting them into circulation, I have no plans of collecting many.
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2019  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also got the catalog today and now I'm completely confused. Looking at my introductory proof coin I see the half with Washington's signature with a mirrored field and frosted devises while the half with the gears has a frosted field with mirrored devises. I thought this was their way of producing a proof and reverse proof in one coin and now they say they are going to produce a reverse proof of the same coin. They must be planning on reversing the obverse and reversing the design on the reverse.
Usually I like collecting coins that were intended for circulation, but I guess I'll collect the reverse proofs along with the P,D, and proof coins since none are going to be released for circulation.
That's where I'm going to draw the line. If they start coming out with other variations like satin or enhanced versions or whatever I'm going to pass.
I never met a man I didn't like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didn't like - DeputyMax
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17388 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2019  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't mind them not including them in the annual sets as they're not meant to be circulating coins. Not including them keeps the mintages down.

Once they start getting designs set in advance they will probably be in the annual sets. They couldn't do that this year because the sets went on sale before the designs for this year were approved.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
784 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2019  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After coming back to the hobby this year after a thirty year hiatus, I'm sticking with the proof sets, silver proof sets, mint sets and a few commemorative coins (World War I and Apollo). Having last collected when there were no commemorative coins, bullion coins or anything similar (1970s and early 1980s), having a limited scope keeps the sanity in the hobby.

Good strategy.

Be thankful we don't live in Canada.

Are you going to get the proof and mint sets for the years you stopped collecting?
Pillar of the Community
741 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2019  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope. I have the introductory coins and that is good enough for me.
Pillar of the Community
741 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2019  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Having last collected when there were no commemorative coins, bullion coins or anything similar (1970s and early 1980s)

They had commemorative coins then.

In fact they minted some in 1982.

But there were all the ones from the 1930s and before as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2383 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2019  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish we'd get rid of the dollar bill and circulate the dollar coins...that would be a kick in the arse for the hobby. More people filling holes in albums.

KK
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 88 / Views: 5,972Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05