Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Collecting Those Innovation Dollars?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 87 / Views: 5,019Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
3086 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2020  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm only doing the proofs.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1312 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2020  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I haven't seen but a few posts since they started the new series several months back and wondered if anyone has or is considering these.

Since this thread has been resurrected, I will add that I am not collecting the Innovation dollars at this time. I don't like that the entire series is NCLT, nor do I like that it's scheduled to run for 14 years. It's also worth noting the coins are not included in the annual mint sets.

That being said, some of the designs are quite attractive. Were the Mint to ever include these dollars in mint sets, which I hope they don't for the sake of my wallet, I'd have no choice but to pick up the earlier coins and see the series through to the end.
Pillar of the Community
United States
596 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2020  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since this thread has been resurrected, I will add that I am not collecting the Innovation dollars at this time. I don't like that the entire series is NCLT, nor do I like that it's scheduled to run for 14 years.

I also have a problem with the duration, but only because I'm 58 years old and don't want to think that far ahead.
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2020  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm only doing the proofs.
Looking good!

Quote:
I also have a problem with the duration, but only because I'm 58 years old and don't want to think that far ahead.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2383 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2020  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy a roll of each...it's a little over face...best deal the mint has. I do that with the ATB Quarters also...buy "S" mint rolls...missed a few though.

KK
Brazil
8 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lhlimaverde to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to know how foreigners could make this collection?
I have been looking for these coins in Brazil and have never seen...
And the stores don't deliver here either ...
Very sad ...
Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in on these coins. I already have everyone that was released from the mint From 2018 to present. Proof and Reverse proof. single coins only not the rolls. Now waiting for Feb. 01 for the next installation of the Rev. Proof S.C. coin.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinnewcomer1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect the American Innovation Dollar Proof and Reverse Proof sets. I agree the Reverse Proof sets can seem overkill but for once the US Mint employed the packaging to great use - you learn in a short span much about things you may take completely for granted. For example, the Gerber ruler developed in Connecticut and its importance in science in the middle 20th century or the real contribution Edison made to electrical lighting - the lighting filament which made the electric light practical for widespread and industrial use. Very interesting information given in an attractive package and an attractive coin. The Reverse Proof finish doesn't work for all designs (the Gerber CT coin is one example of the rp finish adding very little to a coin that is fine in proof).

I enjoy getting the rolls as it a) trains my eyes and b) when I use them in everyday commerce people seem to love getting fresh new dollar coins with nice designs and, for once, they can see the edge lettering clearly. The on problem with dollar coins that some series such as the Sac coins of 2000 and 2001 have aged and worn themselves poorly. The Presidential dollars are a mix bag which you will find the same problem as the Sacs but then also find many in Au or low MS. The Native American coins are somewhere in between. But for many of these coins, the alternation between edge lettering and the many errors of weak and missing edge lettering made many non-collectors forget there was edge lettering on some of the coins.When I brought Used a few of the American Innovation 2020 Md coins featuring the Hubble telescope at a local Wells Fargo, some of the staff were so enamoured by how cool the coin was and that it had edge lettering.

As for its omission from sets, I am elated the US Mint has done this. Less overproduction of dollar coins. My only beef with the US Mint is how vague the legislation is about how long the business strike P and D coins will remain on sale. For this reason I buy a roll or two of each state but NOT both mints.

I agree, and partly out of sheer self-interest, that some of these dollar coin are put into circulation. Since the W Quarter program has been discontinued in 2021 per the US Mint, why not put a limited portion of the 2020 or 2021 dollar coins into general circulation . Make it a little tougher --- say 250,000 per year. But I woudl NOT advertise it or make it a big deal --- this would simply cause predatory sellers to pull them from circulation and charge the unknowing rapacious prices. it would benefit AI collectors as it would have some of the business strike population degrade faster, thereby making the high to mid grade MS specimens a little more valuable than they presently are.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3086 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dearborn

Looking good! (I'm talking about the Carlsberg )
Pillar of the Community
United States
1672 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But I woudl NOT advertise it or make it a big deal --- this would simply cause predatory sellers to pull them from circulation and charge the unknowing rapacious prices. it would benefit AI collectors as it would have some of the business strike population degrade faster, thereby making the high to mid grade MS specimens a little more valuable than they presently are.

Please NO! Don't give them any ideas. They would not circulate and those connected at the banks would end up making a chunk of money off of those of us who have been loyal purchasers from the mint. I These intentionally artificially low releases in to circulation without an option to buy directly from the mint don't increase interest, they just end up costing collectors lots of money and end up making those not really interesting in collecting lots of money.
Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2021  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hfjacinto

Quote:
Looking good! (I'm talking about the Carlsberg )

When I was cropping the picture, I saw that bottle and decided to keep it in the view. (I love Carlsberg Special Brew)
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dreaming Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those of you that are collecting a P and D, Proof and Rev Proof. Has anyone found a good album for the entire series? I can only find an album for P and D. Then a Proof Album for one Proof per coin. Just curious if I am missing anything out there. There is the CAPS Album I believe that does have a spot for all, so asking if there are any other albums out there? I am sure they will come with time maybe...
Learn More...
United States
96136 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community, Dreaming Coins!

I hope Dansco will get something out there once they get back to work after COVID and their move to Washington.
Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2021  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well for me I don't save the P/D coins (something I may have to rectify - I didn't think to collect them)
Anyway as for the Proof sets, from the mint they come in plastic lens cases along with a COA. So for them I keep them in their mint cases and store them with all my other Mint sets.

As for the Reverse sets, they come packed in a neet detailed package describing the info about the coin, So I keep them as is and store them like books on a shelf.

You can see my full proof and reverse proof sets in a post up above.

Now to go look into getting the P/D coins..
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 87 / Views: 5,019Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05