Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Anyone Know What An Empty ANACS Slab Weighs?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2372 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  7:50 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a Byzantine gold coin in an ANACS slab with yellow label. ANACS does not list the weight of the coin on the label. I'm wondering if anyone knows what an empty slab weighs so I can try and determine the approximate weight of the coin.

Thanks.

Paul Bulgerin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42214 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming it's genuine and correctly graded, why do you want to know the weight? Just curious.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2372 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have it for sale on eBay and someone sent a message asking about the weight.

I'm trying to see if I can give the person an approximate answer other than, "I don't know".
Paul Bulgerin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12573 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have it for sale on eBay and someone sent a message asking about the weight.

I'm trying to see if I can give the person an approximate answer other than, "I don't know".

"I don't know" is probably going to be the safest answer for you or just give the total weight of the coin and slab. Any specific answer opens you up potentially to a not as described claim.

Depending on how many digits you take the slab weight out there are variations both from tolerance and just larger coins have a smaller inner ring than small coins have. The difference is pretty negligible but enough digits out and it'll show
Pillar of the Community
United States
615 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get hold of another (cheap) coin in an ANACS slab of the same vintage, remove cheap coin from slab, weight slab.
Edited by joecoin
06/02/2019 9:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16013 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a fair question that the OP has asked.

If you asked ANACS, the answer may not be simple.
ANACS are TPGraders, not slab manufacturers. The weight would depend who made their slabs under what contract, and when.
It may still be worth asking ANACS what is the typical weight of a slab in each batch from the manufacturer. Perhaps ANACS may have kept a record in this regard.
WHY?
Because as the OP has suggested by innuendo, that the weight of a coin inside a slab can still be determined, without having to destroy the slab.

I suggest that you write to ANACS. If lucky, they may help you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10206 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would do as basebal21 suggested and give the total weight of coin & slab as the only available option. Anything else would be guessing and could cause trouble.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12573 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you asked ANACS, the answer may not be simple.
ANACS are TPGraders, not slab manufacturers. The weight would depend who made their slabs under what contract, and when.
It may still be worth asking ANACS what is the typical weight of a slab in each batch from the manufacturer. Perhaps ANACS may have kept a record in this regard.
WHY?

Every legit TPG is in the business of having their slabs manufactured. They know what they are supposed to be and what their tolerances are and who made them etc. They also won't share that information publicly and there is no perhaps that they may have kept records, PCGS even has visible quality control codes on their batches as one example.

This idea that they are clueless to what they should be or only may have kept records is just flat out wrong, people need to stop acting like the legitimate ones are sloppy amateur hour. Anything ordering random slabs offline to slab with is not a legitimate TPG
Pillar of the Community
United States
1596 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that it's best to just give the total weight. The weight of the inner insert will vary depending on the size of the coin, so there's no way to determine the coin weight unless you have an empty slab from the exact same diameter coin.
Edited by Zurie
06/02/2019 11:33 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16013 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a real problem for the OP.
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's the point of authenticating/grading something like this if they aren't going to put the weight on the slab? They vary from 3.6g to 4.5g or so from what I can tell looking at others, pretty inconsistent, and seems like those are things a collector/buyer/seller would want to know, purity and weight.
Then again, I can't imagine they sell at melt right? should be above that anyways I'd think, and maybe the gold value shouldn't be much of a factor to a serious collector.
someone asking the weight is kind of a red flag they are going to make an offer for melt value for it once you tell them it. lol

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2372 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  10:04 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the responses to my inquiry.

I responded to the eBay questioner that I did not know the weight.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8209 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2019  10:29 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How I would figure this out:
You don't need to remove the coin or find an empty holder.
Weigh your complete slab with the gold coin in it.
You need to determine the diameter of that coin first since the inner translucent insert has different weights depending on how much of it was punched or cut out to hold the coin in place.
That kind of ANACS slab with a Jefferson nickel in it would be easy to determine the weight of the slab without a nickel in it.

Lets say the total weight of that type slab with the nickel in it weighed a HYPOTHETICAL 55 grams for example.

Since a nickel weighs 5 grams, simply subtract 5 from 55 and an empty slab with a nickel size hole would weigh 50 grams. You'll have to find out what the diameter of the gold coin in your slab is and find a similar more easily found coin that is the same diameter in that kind of ANACS slab. Weigh that complete slab and look up the weight of that coin in your RedBook or weigh one of that diameter yourself and subtract.
Your gold coin looks like it might be more like the size of a US dime or one cent but I can't tell.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1946 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would stick with Basebal21's response , he's always seemed level headed in all his post that I have read...good luck on the sale..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10206 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  02:49 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I responded to the eBay questioner that I did not know the weight.

That's the safest path. Let any potential buyer decide what it is worth to them. It is already identified and authenticated.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
7064 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  04:24 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can get you the weight tomorrow, I have 3 cracked slabs sitting in front of me at the moment, the are US silver dollars so the insert weight will likely be less due to the size of the hole for a Morgan dollar.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05