Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Copies Of Penny-wise Available Online

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  11:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Many of you may be aware of this, but I ran across this last night and wanted to post if for those that did not know. Penny-Wise, the journal of the Early American Coppers, is available online at NNP. The site has issues from 1967 through 2016. Newer issues are available only to members. I read the first issue last night. I hope to look over some of them to gain a little insight and much needed knowledge.

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publi...etail/511683
Pillar of the Community
United States
1663 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40501 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Staggering reference base.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6082 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plus downloadable! Thanks for this
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
253 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Singer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Singer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of valuable information in that link! Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10016 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2019  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's pretty impressive. Thanks for the link!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18449 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2019  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes thanks for that. I never heard of this before.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
7022 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2019  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Join the EAC anyways! You get so much through them, all PW already to go on a DVD, access to several secret member only forums, weekly e-mail updates, access to their famous auction catalog and bidding in said yearly EAC Auction plus free admission to the EAC Convention.

http://eacs.org/
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2019  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking about it westcoin. It seems like a really interesting area of coin collecting to get into.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7022 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2019  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"They" say collect US coins long enough you'll end up at the EAC! "They" were right in my case, now I don't have many early coppers in my own collection, and I bought and sold many before really even understanding them or looking for varieties, and I probably left a lot of money on the table in my years dealing coins at shows. My interest in EAC coins came about through reading and researching other coins, then I got into Half Cents through a few chance purchases, and looking up what varieties they were, started buying a lot of books, spending way more than I probably should have to start out, but in the long run, those books are now worth a lot more than I paid for them, EAC coins are one area in US collecting that consistently seems to go up in value, almost to the point I find it hard to even collect them now, but I still love reading and learning all about them, have found a lot of friends through the joining the EAC too.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm following the advice oft cited here .... "buy the book before you buy the coin." So, before I take the leap of purchasing a large cent or joining the EAC, I'm doing my research.

I've requested Newcomb's United States Copper Cents for Father's Day. I'm also going through these old copies of P-W. Finally, I'm starting to watch large cent auctions to look at grading and see how things price.
Edited by CitationSquirrel
06/09/2019 09:51 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...I've requested Newcomb's United States Copper Cents for Father's Day...

That's a great place to start. Just be mindful, some Newcomb varieties have been de-listed. If you get stuck, be sure to ask here for help. Or better yet, join EAC when you can.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7022 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While Newcombs book is interesting, it only has line drawings, and it was printed from his handwriting, looks much like an architect's handwriting and quite legible, it is also available online, I have a PDF if you'd like it drop me a PM and I'd be glad to email it to you, to see if it's really what you want.

I could never really wrap my head around determining varieties very well using it on any coins lower grade than EF or AU.

John Wright's The Cent book is the one to get for the middle dates. Still available from John & Mabel Wright directly, you can find the info in pretty much any recent Pennywise. (PM me if you can't find it).

Then there are the Noye's multi volume set, expensive but the very best books on large cents right now, a full set will run at least $650.00, available through Charles Davis Numismatic Books, I saw some on Klobe & Fanning's site last month as well.

For the later date large cents there is also Grellman's excellent book (2nd edition is best) I have the 1st edition myself.

Also Breen's encyclopedia of large cents is excellent, Del Bland and my friend Mark Borchardt worked a lot on that one, can be found online for free reading at PCGS.com it took me about 8 months after I decided I wanted a copy to find one under $200 but they do pop up in the usual locations.

Edited by westcoin
06/08/2019 7:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For the later date large cents there is also Grellman's excellent book (2nd edition is best) I have the 1st edition myself.

I also have the 1st edition. I've never seen the 2nd.

What makes it better?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7022 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better quality printing from what I understand, fixed some errors and updated information. THe binding on that 1st edition wasn't so great, I recall an earlier copy of the 1st edition in a 2 volume 3-ring binder as well.

Also forgot to mention Red Henery put out a great middle date instant finder, very helpful on quickly figuring out a variety, again anyone that wants copies let me know I can provide them as I don't think it's online anywhere. It's only 4 pages, but designed to be a quick way to see if a coin is a tough variety at a show, flea market, pawn shop, etc. without needing to haul around an entire encyclopedia.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05