Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post A Norfed! Liberty Dollars, Etc.

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Arkie can you take a picture of the obvers of one of those '05s, there's a couple of verities of those .
Nice price too

@ Earle42 I still can't find NOFED coins at my LCS or the one that's close to where I work.

This is a hallmarked 1/5 oz naked back the "Live Free Or Die" hallmark is for Belmont NH. The CH hallmark is from the RCO of Belmont, Charles Hampe he also hallmarked the LLD posted earlier.

Edited by Chopped Triumphs
06/26/2019 3:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5998 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@ Earle42 I still can't find NORFED coins at my LCS or the one that's close to where I work.

I think when the FBI lie/scare tactic was put into place a lot of them went into drawers/jars etc. You hardly saw them anymore even in this area where NORFEDs did not raise an eyebrow if spent.

The dispensing machine stayed up locally, but it ran dry and was not replenished since they were no longer being made.

I admit I was not actively searching for them outside this area (except on ebay as I am mostly housebound), but when I did get a chance to visit my "local" coin shop - about 30 miles away in another town, the owner mentioned he had a few of what locals in that town called the "funny Chambersburg money."

My LCS owener was educated enough to know what NORFEDs were though and that eBay was the best place to sell it.

BTW - some years after the vending machine was taken down I went back to the owner and asked him if he still had it. I was thinking of trying to buy it from him (what a great NORFED go with!). If I remember correctly he said he had disposed of it after awhile - but am not positive -0 might have been sold for scrap.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1906 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
can you take a picture of the obvers of one of those '05s, there's a couple of verities of those

You know the numismatist's motto: Varieties are the spice of life.

Here they are:

Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

You know the numismatist's motto: Varieties are the spice of life.

Here they are:

#15 Type 2 long hair lock.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5998 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the OBVs onscreen I can't help but ask why modern mint artists just cannot come up comparable beautiful designs like this anymore?
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looking at the OBVs onscreen I can't help but ask why modern mint artists just cannot come up comparable beautiful designs like this anymore?

I actually thought the Morgans were a beautifully minted coin, then I remembered the 1888 O with a MAJOR die crack. With that being said. Most of the good stuff on Liberty Dollars is on the reverse
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a half ounce 2005 piece with a value of ten dollars.

This particular piece was hallmarked by Charles Hampe on the reverse by my request.

Edited by Chopped Triumphs
06/28/2019 2:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5998 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I DO like a lot of the REVs - I think I like the Chambersburg and the California Bear best. The overall OBV reminds me of things like traditional US OBVs from the past except the effigy is a bot more...I don;t know...refined?

What I mean is that although I love, for example, the Peace dollar design, while looking at the Peace profile I always wondered why she has her mouth half open which, at certain angles, almost gives her a look of being bewildered or lost (to me anyway)?

The NORFED Liberty resembles, to me, something I was once looking into for fun online ...what face does the average American think of when they hear the words, "average American." Polling a lot of people of all types, they combined everything and computer averaged it - NORFED's Liberty reminds me of this.

- Real men play Fizzbin.
Learn More...
United States
73203 Posts
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2004 20$ piece.

This was minted with the expectation of the rising silver price in '04 making the face value above $10. The high price in '04 didn't last long enough for these to be distributed. They were warehoused and used to payout silver certificates. Mintage maybe 1000 that was the sunshine mints minimum.

Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
While I DO like a lot of the REVs - I think I like the Chambersburg and the California Bear best. The overall OBV reminds me of things like traditional US OBVs from the past except the effigy is a bot more...I don;t know...refined?

The Chambersburg you posted I like a lot.

The revs I'm posting do make them different.
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like Earl42's coin

this is NOT a Norfed released coin, it's on a 39mm copper planchet, weight is one avoirdupois ounce.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5998 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love the Bobsgunshop.com pieces Chopped!
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Love the Bobsgunshop.com pieces Chopped

Are these considered Gun Dollars?

Pillar of the Community
United States
5998 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05