Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Titus Bonvs Eventvs Denarius

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1189 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  5:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been keeping on eye out for one of these for some time. Luckily I was checking the unsold lots on Artemide Aste (I do this often and have found a umber of great coins for opening bid prices) and I stumbled upon this one. While this coin is called common in RIC, examples do not come to market very often.

Bonvs Eventvs or "good outcome"

From wikipedia:
Coins featuring Bonus Eventus were issued during the turmoil of the Year of Four Emperors (69 AD) and the reigns of Galba, Vespasian, Titus, Antoninus Pius, and Septimius Severus.[10] On these coins and on gems, Bonus Eventus is a standing male nude, usually with one leg bent and his head turned away toward a libation bowl in his outstretched hand. Sometimes he is partially clad in a chlamys that covers his back, or in an over-the-shoulder himation with the ends framing his torso. Poppies and stalks of grain are common attributes.[11]

I like the portrait and the full legends. The figure on the reverse is worn but still well defined.

Titus (79-81).AR Denarius, 79-80.
2.93g 19.00mm
Obv: Head right, laureate.IMP TITVS CAESVESPASIAN AVG PM
Rev: Bonus Eventus standing left, holding patera, corn-ears and poppy; BONVS EVENTVS AVGVSTI
RIC (2nd ed.) 89.AR.
Toned.About VF.
Atrtemide Aste E-Live auction 8 Lot 268

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good looking coin despite some wear. Congrats. I always find these busts of Titus and Vespasian - the ones with huge heads but tiny, scrunched facial features - to be so weird but also so full of character.
Learn More...
United States
22338 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder how close to these images they actually looked? Nice addition.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1189 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob and Ron for the kind comments. The portraits of the Flavians are very interesting.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11407 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree nice pick-up. I do have a question based on your description:

Quote:
On these coins and on gems, Bonus Eventus is a standing male nude, usually with one leg bent and his head turned away toward a libation bowl in his outstretched hand.

@orfew, what do you mean by "gems"?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1189 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence

I assume that "gems" in the wikipedia description refers to intaglio cut stones often used for rings or other jewelry.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11407 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah ok thx-that makes sense.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05