Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Second Medieval Coin Of Jaume II

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1508 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  5:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just won my second Jaume II coin...
Hopefully now I'm starting to be able to read the legends ok..
Any thoughts or extra info much appreciated..Thanks
Edited by Palouche
06/12/2019 04:38 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
751 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't overlook the V in BARQVINONA.
Edited by Kushanshah
06/11/2019 6:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4372 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, Paul. Nice one.
Learn More...
United States
22522 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin Paul, I only have two medieval coins from Spain not in as nice a condition as yours.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1508 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob and Ron....I'm becoming more interested in these coins but I certainly need to research more...
@KS...
Quote:
Don't overlook the V in BARQVINONA

Aaarh! Crashed and burned!...Thanks KS..
At the moment I only have the 'Survey of Medieval Iberian Coinages by Lhotka and Anderson' reference book you recommended before...Nice for a complete beginner like me..The only problem is the section on JaumeII is quite limited whereas the other rulers seem to be more concise...Thanks again Paul
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12686 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a super coin, with great remaining detail!

Quote:
At the moment I only have the 'Survey of Medieval Iberian Coinages by Lhotka and Anderson' reference book

A good starter book, but you might consider stepping up to Clemente & Cayon when you outgrow that one.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
06/12/2019 04:33 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2348 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
Reading those gothic legends is tough, as it seems every diemaker had their own (slightly different) idea on what some of the letters should look like.
I've not invested as much in numismatic references as some others out here, but find many of the legends spelled out in their Numista entries, or auction catalogs.

Then there is the minor challenge of realizing that John, Jean and Jan are IOHANNES (or an abbreviation), James is IACOBVS or variant, Isabelle shows up as a variant of Elizabeth, etc. And, of course, the mint names in Latin, sometimes not looking at all like the current place name (ARGENTVM is my favorite)
Edited by tdziemia
06/12/2019 1:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1508 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence and tdz..I'm glad you like the coin..

Quote:
but you might consider stepping up to Clemente & Cayon

Is this the book your referring to Spence, I think its the same one that KS recommended before aswell?..If so I might go for it next month..
https://www.cgbfr.es/las-monedas-es...lm124,a.html

Quote:
Then there is the minor challenge of realizing that John, Jean and Jan are IOHANNES (or an abbreviation), James is IACOBVS or variant

Quite agree! And also makes it more of a challange when simply searching for a particular ruler..
Edited by Palouche
06/13/2019 07:05 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12686 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't get your thread to work @palouche, but here is a link to the book that we were both describing:

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=l...2292&lot=787

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1508 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence thats the one...That went for a good price,,
I'll check out some of the auctions..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12686 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No prob. I don't recall it being especially hard to find, despite being about 20 years old. Good luck!
-----King Adz
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05