Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Apollo 11th 50th Anniversary Currency Set

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
2210 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ordered at 12:00:23 online. No worries. I was going to order two, but changed it back to one.

Edited to add; The Apollo 11 set is now listed as Currently Unavailable. That doesn't necessarily mean Sold Out, but it's close.
Edited by SteveInTampa
07/16/2019 4:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am not usually much of a currency collector but I think this time I might go for a couple of sets. I have some first and last sets from 1999 and a few signed notes, a BEP $100 pack of star dollar bills and a couple of error notes. Nothing with a $50 though, so going to pull the trigger on this one. Plus, I like low mintages lol.

It's the OGP that is low and not really the note itself.

If anyone is thinking about getting the note graded, then PMG is promoting a special label for this note that benefits the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation (ASF).
Edited by BadDog
07/16/2019 5:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There were 40,000 notes printed in 2018 and I would think they are the likely candidates to be included in the set (MG1969nnnnB Jan 18, MH1969nnnnA Jan 18, ML1969nnnnB Feb 18 and MB1969nnnnD Oct18) with the New York notes probably being the most likely to be included.

It's the OGP for sure as a package that I like along with the embossing, although I am not sure how cool that will be until I see it. What is the "mintage" (more appropriately print run) on these notes? Presumably 10,000?

Also, does anyone know why the limit is 6000/5700? Why the 300 discrepancy?

I just got the shipping confirmation from the mint, I am on free shipping so will be a week for me probably.
Edited by Andy Herkimer
07/16/2019 9:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
918 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mfhorn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered right at Noon. Got notice at 6:22 PM that it has shipped.

VERY IMPRESSED!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got my order in by 12:01. Mint site still says Processing. No big rush for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2210 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting manifest. Notice the departure location.

Pillar of the Community
United States
918 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mfhorn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Our local talk radio was telling this story yesterday. What a sense of humor.

He had meet Neil at a golfing event, and ask if he would have his picture taken with him. Mr Armstrong said..."What do you want a picture of me for?"

Lived in Indian Hill, Ohio, a suburb of Cincinnati.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Edited to add; The Apollo 11 set is now listed as Currently Unavailable. That doesn't necessarily mean Sold Out, but it's close.

If anyone still wants to order this set, it's again available this morning. HH limit still in effect.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2210 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm...it's 9:45 AM and it shows to be Currently Unavailable again.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SCPharmacist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would imagine that the US Mint has reserved 300 of the 50th anniversary Apollo currency sets to give to VIP NASA individuals and certain members of top government.
That would leave 6,700 sets for public purchase.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SCPharmacist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know at what time the US Mint announced that the 50th Apolo 11 currency set became "unavailable"?
Just curious as to how long it took to reach their limit.
I was fortunate to purchase mine at 12:03 EST
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone know at what time the US Mint announced that the 50th Apolo 11 currency set became "unavailable"?
Just curious as to how long it took to reach their limit.

It wasn't long, I am guessing about an hour? It makes it more cool if 300 sets go to VIP NASA! Kind of unusual to see that. The set was available briefly again this morning and sets are selling on eBay for around $150. Not a home run but flippable for those who do so.
Learn More...
United States
75030 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Learn More...
United States
75030 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At $150 I guess one could expect to make about $50 after fees. That would really put a dent in the cost of keeping one. hmmm....
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05