Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pride Of Two Nations Set

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12139 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
there are a lot more PF-70s than there were before 2000. It could be that Minting technology has improved, or they're putting more money/resources into minting higher quality coins.

There's a lot of reasons why, but the two biggest are how they're made and how they get submitted. It wasn't until after 2000 when ASEs really started getting submitted and really probably the last 10 years where they're getting submitted in big numbers immediately. This has causes collectors to demand a higher quality from the mint where in the past all it had to be was shiny and it would sell.

So basically all those early years had to survive for decades before getting submitted and probably were bought and sold at least once for most of them etc, long story short most of the ones that would have been a 70 no longer are.

Quote:
Does a break in the frosting prevent them from getting a 70 grade?

It can and probably would. It depends what they think the reason is. They define the 70 as as minted so if they think its a die issue or strike through or something it can still be a 70 technically, but usually on special issues like these they want full frosting for the 70 grade
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  07:32 am  Show Profile   Check omxfl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were just a handful available this morning. I think we're done...
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheInfinityPoint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update: 4 hours after my last post, the package showed up on USPS and it was delivered today *FINALLY*.

Quote:

I'd say there should be some solid, evidence that proves that "Early Release" coins are statistically, in general, better quality coins than non-Early Release coins. Thus the study I suggested several posts before. If for example, 70% or 80% of all "Early Releases" were found to be PF69s or 70s, and 70% or 80% of non-First Releases were found to be lower than PF-69, then I'd say it's worth getting those labels.

No, Early/First Release should not correlate with coin quality (nowadays). Take for instance this set, Pride of 2 Nations, in which the bulk of it will be sold within the first ~30 days. Graders need to submit them to TPGs by Aug 2 for ER designation, and they constitute coins minted at essentially all points of the die's life. If *everyone* who bought this set had it graded with ER designation (unlikely, but no impossible), the ER label is meaningless as far as coin quality goes. Now, it's possible 10 years down the road ER coins might be in slightly better shape than non-ER, due to improper storage, etc. But, this is outside of the parameter space (i.e., strictly the coin quality due to the Mint's manufacturing and packaging).

Even FDOI slabbed coins aren't necessarily better, as all of them needed to be struck beforehand (depends on the number released on first day).

In my opinion there are numismatists, coin collectors, and label collectors.

Quote:

There were just a handful available this morning. I think we're done...

Yup I set an alarm for 1:30 AM Hawaii time and was able to pick up 1 set at 1:31 AM (had to restart Firefox, ugh). I wanted a 2nd one and by the time I went back to the page immediately after checking out for the first one, it was back to Unavailable. So it only took <2 min. to sell out again
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheInfinityPoint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read somewhere that a few of the mint sets would have their CoAs signed by the mint director (in addition to signing them at the release ceremony). Anyone have any info on that? Or did I just misread or got incorrect info?
Learn More...
United States
73473 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
jbuck - wish you lots of luck with your sets!! They are beautiful, especially the ASE!!
Thank you.

As expected, I am quite pleased with it. The OGP looks and feels more premium than usual. Definitely takes some of the sting out of the price.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1355 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My set arrived at lunch time. Ran home to get it.

Quote:
The OGP looks and feels more premium than usual. Definitely takes some of the sting out of the price.

Definitely agree. Only one problem with my set. The Maple Leaf has a speck of blue fuzz inside the capsule. Anyone try to take these apart? Any different that the usual U.S. capsules?
Learn More...
United States
73473 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed that the Canadian capsule does not hold the coin as tight as the US one does.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3347 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine have left powercoin in Italy and on the way. I am sending in to TPG since they are the RCM version.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3347 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
APMEX just raised their prices again for the RCM sets to $239.
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MJD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got my set in the mail. The enhanced reversed proof ASE is impressive. It is hard to see from the picture, but the eagle on the reverse has a 3D effect from certain angles. I didn't think I'd be that impressed, but the Mint really did a good job on these.

Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave92029 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My RCM sets arrived at NGC a day early. Has anyone else submitted their sets for grading or am I the first?

There was a discussion earier about coins designated FS. I was wondering if the RCM sets were shipped first by the USM, and are serially numbered? Could the RCM sets actually be the first 10,000 manufactured and in fact FS?
I suppose someone from either Mint will needed to answer this question.
Edited by dave92029
07/12/2019 3:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave92029 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MJD very nice pictures. I find it difficult to photograph PF ASE because they are very reflective, and pick up all the backround colors, and sometimes even my hands and the camera :>)

You did an excellent job. very attractive coins indeed!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2740 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MCM_eBay is selling the NGC 70 set for $300 (no original-mint designation)
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3347 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Intraday price increase at APMEX, RCM now $249.
Learn More...
United States
73473 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
APMEX just raised their prices again for the RCM sets to $239.
Page: of 42  Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05