Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pride Of Two Nations Set

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 751 / Views: 49,669Next Topic
Page: of 51
Pillar of the Community
United States
633 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@captainrich & mellamobradley46-

i just saw that, too, as I was checking the availability of those sets (unavailable again).

while I wonder sometimes what the mint is doing (re: so many ASEs per year), it doesn't adversely affect me (yet). what I mean is, I don't especially have a problem with ONLY 4 different ASEs per year, but not everyone is going to feel the way I do about them, and I perfectly well understand the negative sentiments expressed at more than 4 per year, which is why I wonder. I mean, (this year) there's a bullion coin and 4 or 5 different collector-version coins with the two proofs, enhanced reverse proof, burnished and now (potentially) a different enhanced reverse proof.. I'm supposing the latest offering scheduled for december release might have a different mintmark..

i wonder what is causing this. is it just greedy mint? are stackers not buying enough bullion coins? are collectors beginning to shy away from the collector ASEs? just my opinion, but it seems like one bullion, one proof, one burnished and MAYBE a specialty coin released within a set per year— 4 dif. coins— ought to be plenty of ASE action for one calendar year, but even that almost seems over the top for just ASEs. now we're having to chase down an additional proof each year (the S mint), and who knows what the mint has in store (for next year). I can't imagine another ASE being minted this year; I honestly thought the Po2Ns set would mark the last ASE for the year.

it seems like the mint is (still) trying to understand the 2017-S proof ASE phenomenon and/or attempting to replicate the furor of it, to benefit their sales, or something to that effect. dunno, just speculatin'.

while I do love the ASE, I really don't love it so much that I need more than 5 different ASEs (or more) every year. imho it's overkill. how the mint cannot see that this plan could very easily backfire on them is also a wonder to me. i'll still buy the new issues, probably til the end of the series, they're a beautiful coin, but the mint is wrecking the desirability with so many different offerings of the same coin, now every year. too much, too much. less is better. I'm up to my beagles in silver eagles!!

this latest offering has me in line with captainrich: a big fat thumbs-down.

too many choices. less is better.
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
Valued Member
United States
353 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2019  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing that this other enhanced reverse proof will have the new reverse that the mint director said will be coming soon. If that's the case it would be worth getting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
633 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2019  03:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, i'd likely get it, too.

sorry about the above rant, got away from the topic, which is the Po2Ns set, which is again unavailable. maybe they're sold out this time & finished?

I didn't get a second set. I noticed at APMEX they were offering a discount on the slabbed coins. I tried getting into the website to locate & investigate, but every time I tried I got a 'server error', so I didn't see it. i'll go look again.

edit: found them: $50 off PR70 PCGS first day & first strike... I may have to wait for my money tree to flower again before I could purchase either fd or fs. I will likely pass on slabbed specimens of this set. but if they shave off another $50...
Edited by MrPink2018
09/06/2019 03:44 am
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2019  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm guessing that this other enhanced reverse proof will have the new reverse that the mint director said will be coming soon. If that's the case it would be worth getting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Are you referring to a new design? Do you have a link or copy of the article?
Valued Member
United States
353 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a link but it was an interview. Maybe it was CoinWorld or some similar website. Late in the interview he talked about change to the reverse. Said it will be coming soon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
916 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  08:04 am  Show Profile   Check omxfl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More than 99 available YET again...

But it'll be done soon as the Sep08 sales figure was 99734.

What is available now has got to be returns.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1174 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is available now has got to be returns.

Maybe and maybe not

The Mint doesn't publish actual production numbers for numismatic coins, but I believe that they produce more (perhaps significantly more?) than the mintage/product numbers indicate.

As an example, the 2018 Innovation $1 reverse proof coin has a mintage/product number of 75,000, but a FOIA request for the actual number produced revealed that more than 100,000 were struck. If this kind of excess production is normal, then it would be easy for the Mint to release dribs and drabs up to the product limit without selling returns.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As an example, the 2018 Innovation $1 reverse proof coin has a mintage/product number of 75,000, but a FOIA request for the actual number produced revealed that more than 100,000 were struck. If this kind of excess production is normal, then it would be easy for the Mint to release dribs and drabs up to the product limit without selling returns.

That probably is normal for clad products, but not precious metal products. Even 10k extra sets would be almost 400k in silver melt value alone. That also doesn't include that they would have had to get the extras from another country which likely means purchasing them from Canada or the packaging which probably costs them a couple bucks a set.

Any left overs would have to be melted which costs even more money.

I would be surprised if there was any excess productions much less significant excess for any of the silver, gold, platinum, or palladium products.

The other thing is that if they were shipping fresh new sets why do they keep coming back? Seems more likely that the rejected sets are playing musical chairs getting shipped over and over until someone finally says this is good enough
Pillar of the Community
United States
1174 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That probably is normal for clad products, but not precious metal products.

Again, maybe so and maybe not. Since I don't collect ASEs I don't have enough interest in this to find out, but are you going to submit a FOIA request to find out if your opinion is correct
Edited by BadDog
09/10/2019 3:42 pm
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since I don't collect ASEs I don't have enough interest in this to find out, but are you going to submit a FOIA request to find out if your opinion is correct

I won't. It makes no sense for them to put 10s of millions of dollars on hold if not more stocking back up PM products every year.

After they played games with the FOIA for the P mint ASEs I don't put a ton of weight into those either.
Edited by basebal21
09/10/2019 6:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
539 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

If the TBA America Eagle One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof (19XE) turns out to be identical to the SAE from the "Pride of Two Nations Two-Coin Set," the U.S. Mint should call the new offering "The Shame of One Nation One-Coin Set."
Pillar of the Community
United States
1174 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I won't. It makes no sense for them to put 10s of millions of dollars on hold if not more stocking back up PM products every year.
Perhaps not to you, or even to me, but then again I don't know what kind of deals the Mint has with Sunshine Mint for the blanks or what what deals they may have to provide defects and excess coins back to Sunshine for melt. I wouldn't expect there would be much of a refining cost as they would be melting .9993 coins to make .9993 blanks. It might even be cheaper than producing them from raw ore, or refined silver of less purity

I'm for sure not submitting a FOIA request on this either. It's always easier to form an opinion without bothering to find out the facts, rather than do the work to find out the facts and then form the opinion.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps not to you, or even to me, but then again I don't know what kind of deals the Mint has with Sunshine Mint for the blanks or what what deals they may have to provide defects and excess coins back to Sunshine for melt. I wouldn't expect there would be much of a refining cost as they would be melting .9993 coins to make .9993 blanks. It might even be cheaper than producing them from raw ore, or refined silver of less purity

They explicitly only deal with major distributors for bullion products in order to not sit on piles of PMs. The overwhelming majority of their products do not sell out either. Why would they do something completely different over producing PM products sitting on huge piles of PMs regardless of productions costs just to have backups?

Quote:
It's always easier to form an opinion without bothering to find out the facts, rather than do the work to find out the facts and then form the opinion.

That's a cute attempt but if you're so sure submit it. They have a history of doing things one way, a history of selling PM products one way, and even a history of requests being discredited such as the P mint ASEs where they tried to make it seem like it wasn't what they said.

If you believe none of that matters submit the request
Page: of 51 Previous TopicReplies: 751 / Views: 49,669Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05