Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Upcoming 2018 Reverse Proof American Innovation Coin

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar of the Community
United States
1759 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
im in for 1 set (all I need as well ) this will be the least expensive purchase I have ever made at the mint (not counting products from 35+ years ago inflation!!) LOL

I feel it will sell out because of the 180,000+ sales for the regular proof but then again logic doesn't always work? we shall see
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bret,wyzeguy can you guys point me in the right direction where I can get a good deal,for the 3 coins set graded.Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  06:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dunno exactly where but with some digging on ebay you could get the proof 69 for around $24. I dunno about the P and D coins in MS67 cheaply. The ones I saw on ebay for around $15 each were MS64 and I didn't come across MS67 on there.

Obviously though the coin TV show can do it for $80 and pay all their bills off the sales they have a decent mark up on it though.

Be careful with those shows though the often grade coins with ANACS and those coins do not resell good compared to the same grade in NGC or PCGS slabs. The ANACS slabs sell at a grade or more lower and likely when resubmitted to change the slab's would downgrade.
ANACS is just more lenient when they grade, NGC and PCGS grade harshly and tight. NGC or PCGS slabbed coins would be the better buy for long term resale value.

The coin shows on TV have much more overhead than other places. You should keep that in mind when viewing their products you can find anything they are selling, exact match, cheaper elsewhere. A lot of times is something like the choice of the grading company, that a novice collector wouldn't catch where they hide their profit until they go to sell them and find out they are only offered $10 each from a dealer, if they are lucky, that will then try to sell them to someone at $15 or $20 each.

Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Big-Kingdom for that info didn't no that about ANACS thought they was the same as the other. I never deal with ebay,that why I thought Bret or wyzeguy knew a person they can point me to.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Bret,wyzeguy can you guys point me in the right direction where I can get a good deal,for the 3 coins set graded.Thanks

I can't for the 3 coin set as I don't buy 3rd party graded modern coins. Before you go the route of buying them graded, be sure that you understand the likely overall cost impact it's going to have on your set. You'll likely end up paying multiple times what the raw coins would cost you. Graded modern coins are not typically in better condition, they're just graded. If that's your thing, then by all means do what makes you happy. After all, that's what this hobby is about. Do not expect that because you buy a modern coin graded that it will appreciate or hold its value better than a raw coin. From what I've seen, that's not true overall.

In my case, I purchased a 25 coin roll of both the 2018-P and 2018-D for $33 each directly from the mint. So, my net cost is $8 per roll. When I get around to it, I'll sort through each roll and keep the very best one of each for my set. I'll also keep any others that are really nice. I'll spend the others. This is usually the same thing that those who send the P's and D's do before sending the best in for grading. I think that it's more fun doing it this way too. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ANACS is Trusted, don't get me wrong it's one of the top 3, but it's 3rd at the end of the day. what I mean is their slabs just aren't as valued as the PCGS and NGC ones are. People buying slabbed coins pay more for PCGS or NGC slabbed coins. ANACS is great at variety and error attribution though for instance, in my opinion.

Amazon has : 2018 S American Innovation Dollar PF69 NGC $19.99
Ebay has: 2018 S AID sold prices of around $15 for PR69 and about $30-$40 for PR70.

As far as the P or D graded coins, there aren't any on Ebay right now but if you kept an eye there they will likely turn up from time to time.
PCGS shows from recent sales they sell in MS65 or MS66 for P or D from $8-$20 dollars either mintmark, and letter orientation A or B. They don't sell well, and aren't many graded, so graded examples for sale aren't all over ebay. Doesn't seem to be much interest for them graded at least on Ebay.
If you bide your time on it, I'm sure you could probably get the 3 coin set in MS66/MS66/PR69 for around $45-60 in NGC or PCGS holders, maybe even better grades for a bit more than that, at least on the proof. I don't see anything graded by PCGS above MS66 yet.

Personally I'd probably just buy the proof from the Mint for $6.95 and then buy the P+D from an ebay seller for like $2.00 each and skip graded examples, but that's me.
In this case, more than half of the cost you pay when anyone is selling it, is the holder and them trying to make some of their money back from getting them graded.

raw it's like $11 in coins cost maybe for the set and none of them slabbed are valued highly so far. maybe it's a sleeper, but maybe the interest isn't there for them as a graded collectible.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12265 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Graded modern coins are not typically in better condition, they're just graded.

It just depends on what grade you're buying and what series. The majority graded are in fact better than average for the series hence they were graded. You can be better than average and still be common. But yes if someone is buying like MS 63/64s then that is about average, the large open field on this one is almost certainly going to mean they MS ones won't grade out well overall.

Quote:
ANACS is Trusted, don't get me wrong it's one of the top 3, but it's 3rd at the end of the day.

This, and it's a pretty wide gap on valuable coins and moderns. It's okay is someone wants to get them they just need to make sure they aren't paying the PCGS or NGC price for them and understand that if their moderns can be difficult to resell without stiff discounts
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys for all the info,I'll try to use all the info you'll shared.
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So........coin goes on sale tomorrow. Who's excited to have the opportunity to spend $10.00? lol!
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in for one (with free delivery). My innovation dollar collection will once again be complete.
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
with free delivery
Of course!

Quote:
My innovation dollar collection will once again be complete.
Truth.
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going to get one tomorrow since I have to get a 2019 proof set for the new granddaughter who arrived Monday morning (the other 13 grandkids got a proof set from the year they were born last Christmas), that way I can combine my shipping.
I never met a man I didn't like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didn't like - DeputyMax
Edited by DeputyMax
08/13/2019 10:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, will get two.
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was comparing the reverse proof on the website with the proof from 2018 on the website, and I can't see a difference in them. Obviously there must be a difference in them and the pictures don't do it justice, or they used the wrong pictures. I would think the most notable will be the statue of liberty side with the big open clean field on the regular proof, which should be frosted on the reverse proof.

Should be a reverse of this basically which I think better shows the contrast between surfaces and devices better than the pics the mint has up:

I have high expectations that the statue of liberty side is going to be a stunner. I hope I'm right.
I'm also hoping for a mirrored finish rim around it too, the opposite of this picture. LOL
Edited by Big-Kingdom
08/14/2019 10:52 am
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05