Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Upcoming 2018 Reverse Proof American Innovation Coin

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone think this will sell out?
Pillar of the Community
United States
619 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I do think it will sell out, not today because of the household limit, but it will sell out at some point. However, it will sell out to coin dealers/sellers once the household limit is lifted.
If it could be used as any indication, they have sold 185,167 of the 2018 AI regular proof coins until Aug. 11th.
I suppose a lot of them are sitting with dealers and ebay flippers though, they were cheap at $6.95, so it's one of those items that is affordable for the kids at coin shows to buy that looks nice, doesn't have a lot of out of pocket if it sits on the shelf a while kind of thing, but maybe sparking a new collector. If half of that proof sales total is collector demand, It's possible they sell out and 75K isn't enough for all the people that want them as time progresses, especially if the series catches on somehow.

All speculation of course. who knows what will happen, but it will be hard to sell out today with 5 max coins at a time. That requires 15K customers all buying 5. lol
Learn More...
United States
74970 Posts
Learn More...
United States
74970 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got my 5 with no issues at all during the ordering process.
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got mine.
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine were ordered, no problems.
I never met a man I didn't like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didn't like - DeputyMax
Pillar of the Community
United States
619 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I ordered 3 for now. for sure I wanted that many, might add two more after I see them and really like them though if they are still available.
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got 2
Valued Member
United States
455 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Went with the HH limit of 5. I've given a few of the proofs as gifts and plan to do the same with this one. May end up getting more once the limit is lifted.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MarkCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just ordered two.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The marketing email I received from the Mint today says (emphasis added by me)
Quote:
The American Innovation™ 2018 $1 Reverse Proof Introductory Coin launches our first reverse proof series in which the design elements on the coins—the stylized gears, the Statue of Liberty, George Washington's signature—are polished to a mirror-like finish, while the background is frosted. The novel features of these coins make this a wonderful program for experienced numismatists as well as for bringing new people into the hobby.

So, it looks like you can look forward to buying at least 16 coins (PDSSx4) per year for the next 14 years if you want to collect this entire series

I just hope that starting next year we can get the coins in the mint set, proof set and a reverse proof set instead of the piecemeal fashion it has been so far
Edited by BadDog
08/14/2019 2:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just ordered my 2. No problems.
Learn More...
United States
74970 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, it looks like you can look forward to buying at least 16 coins (PDSSx4) per year for the next 14 years if you want to collect this entire series

Quote:
I just hope that starting next year we can get the coins in the mint set, proof set and a reverse proof set instead of the piecemeal fashion it has been so far
Pillar of the Community
United States
619 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well you could just buy the Proof series, or just the reverse proof series if you want to. the P+Ds on the secondary market for a couple bucks each tops from the "circulation quality versions", I don't see an "uncirculated quality" version so that's a good thing for completeists that have to have it all.

I feel like they might do the reverse proofs as individual coins, reason being the regular proof was $6.95, the reverse proof was $9.95 and I don't see them putting all 4 reverse proofs in one lens and charging the proof price (whatever that's going to be later this year for the 4 coin year set) but fairly certain the regular proof 4 coin set should be under $30. $40 for the other set is kind of pushing it, even if it is reverse proof.

you can stick to one style though, you don't have to get everything if it gets too pricey. I intend to skip the circulation quality Ps and Ds unless I happen across them easily somewhere for instance. I may just stick to the reverse proofs, I'm not sure.

After the introductory coins and the first year, I might just say "screw this" and just get my state and a couple others that interest me, and skip the rest. Some of the designs I've seen are pretty weak in my opinion, I'm not a fan of all the ones I've seen.

I have to say though I'm not a fan of these decade long series to collect. I'm kind of burnt out on them. it was cool about 20 years ago with the State Quarters, but not so much now, 20 years later. lol
Edited by Big-Kingdom
08/14/2019 4:22 pm
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05