Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Peace Dollar Lamination Cause?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
371 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  12:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I specialize primarily in U.S. dimes. Those who have read my posts know that I'm on the Seated Liberty series at the moment. Any how, to keep active in the hobby I recently started adding Peace dollars until I find the dimes I lack.

What is "lamination" as I'm seeing on many Peace dollars being auctioned off? I understand what the word means by definition, however to my knowledge the composition is not based on a copper center as is modern clad coinage. So how are the two metals separating? Most, to me, look more like die gouging. Perhaps post mint? As is I'm looking to add a specialized hardcover to my library. Until then perhaps someone on the forum could shed light on a confusing phenomenon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3991 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I'm understanding your ? correctly, the alloy was prepared improperly, causing weakness in different areas. Hope this helps.
Valued Member
United States
371 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-Peace...047675.l2557

Just scored this one from EBAY. Despite the dim photos I believe the description's grade to be accurate. I don't see any tell tale signs of swirl marks indicating it had been cleaned, dipped if anything. Again, doubtful. The bright line across the wings of the reverse I think are from the stretch of film in the flip. For the price of the second lowest mintage I did well.

To explain my question, the one's I'm referencing show full separation appearing as if dug into the surface. One I saw earlier today was raised, still attached, as if ready to fall off. Picture an old house with exterior latex paint. What's even more confusing, this seems to exist only with Peace dollars since I've never seen or heard of Morgan's having this happen. Thanks for the thought.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2109 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some bad scratches across the eagle's body on the coin you bought. Lamination is really a delimitation, where metal is pulling away from the planchet.

KK
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05