Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Completely Centsles.. Ebay Seller Taking Advantage Of Newbies.

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
348 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Check AES's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's an expensive but valuable lesson. I've been there myself in many areas both inside and outside the hobby. I hope this does not discourage you from continuing. An UNC set of Peace dollars is a beautiful thing.

Quote:
I am actually surprised that one was within 1 point of NGC.

As am I, but that is a really big point in terms of market.
Pillar of the Community
United States
516 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ChipSchleichard, If you bought them on Ebay with Paypal then I would return any and all coins that have not been taken out of their holders. If you still have any in the same condition as you bought them then I would return them for a full refund. Paypal has a new 180 day return policy., it does not matter if the seller states "No Returns"!

"Purchase Protection covers all eligible purchases where PayPal is used, as well as payments made through our website. To take advantage of Purchase Protection, we require, among other things, that PayPal accounts be kept in good standing and ask that a dispute be filed within 180 days of your purchase or payment."
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/m...reement-full
Edited by Heymikep
06/19/2019 12:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4546 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1). Centsles is still on eBay because eBay likes his fee payments and he knows how to walk a fine line in eBay's rule book..

2). Return what you can and get your money back. That helps minimize the damage to your bank account.

3). Once you return something he will most likely block any future bids from you. That his SOP. No love lost.

4). I would leave negative feedback and follow up negative needback on every transaction you have had with him.

Chalk the whole experience up as "tuition" for your online "degree" in Numismatics.
Valued Member
Canada
276 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@westernsky, what grounds does he have for leaving negative feedback? I'm by no means taking Centsles side, just wondering from an eBay policies perspective. I don't use eBay very often but I'm pretty sure the bigger sellers get a lot of their negative feedback removed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4546 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eternallogan...

Centsles has been a topic of discussion on this forum for years. None of that discussion paints Centsles in a good light..

About the only way a Buyer can warn other Buyers about a Seller is through online forums and by leaving unflattering FB comments on eBay.

Can comments and negs be removed ? Sure. Have they been removed? You could bet on it. A Seller like Centsles probably has some pretty good pull with eBay due to the fees he pays every month.

If the Buyer feels like he was mislead or deceived he is entitled to that opinion by leaving negative feedback comments.

Pillar of the Community
United States
518 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This man owns the grading company and can grade his coins whatever he wants.

This is similar to the guy that owns CAC.

By his own admission, he buys and sells coins with CAC stickers on them.

Now if that's not a conflict of interest, I don't know what is.

Change my mind.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12396 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, I learned my lesson from centsles well before I joined CCF. There is lots of good discussion and points made on this thread, but the one that resonated most with me was @bigsilver's:

Quote:
Keep at it, and stick around. You will get to see the other 99% of this hobby is not like that.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
6756 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Change my mind.

I think Albanese was also involved in standing up PCGS and NGC. I don't think we can expect, as someone who makes a living in numismatics, for him to not use/promote the innovations that he worked so hard to implement. I guess you can be too successful in your field, but someone had to create the institutions that form the platform for the modern hobby. If someone invents a hospital, they should also be able to be a doctor in it if they are qualified. I give him a pass for all the good he has done for the activity that for me is beloved.
Edited by numismatic student
06/19/2019 9:59 pm
Valued Member
Canada
408 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have purchased from centless as well but I had learned my lesson about these basements slabbing companies. I havent purchased anything from centsless recently but when you click on item description he tells all ebayers to buy the coin and not the slab. This is also a rule of thumb even from the most reputable TPGs. Especially NGC. Ive seen them grade XF AU on US standards meanwhile these coins dont even pass F15 in reality. Its a hard lesson you have learned but it is a lesson that will serve you well in the future. The negative experience you had I hope you take as constructive criticisms and stay disciplined on the grading by your own standards. This community will always help you and I hope you enjoy this hobby as much as we all do.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2232 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've bought from centsles in the past, waaaay back when it was still ok to post a grade in the listing.

I always got what exactly what I paid for because....

wait for it....

I bought the coin I was looking at....

not the shiny plastic... not the "opinion" of a stranger.... not the idea of turning a quick buck....

Sorry you got less than you expected, but a lot of that is on you. If you have $300 to spend on a single coin then you should know what you are buying, or maybe start off a few decimal points to the left until you do know what you are buying.

People only get burned when they douse themselves in gasoline and hand a stranger a lit match.

A few minutes of google searching would've saved you a lot of heart ache, not to mention saving you wasting your hard earned dollars.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I suspect you sent the coins to NGC in order to get a more "official" and more "marketable opinion". If NGC graded the same as NNC you would've done really well...
but instead you got an education.. and are not happy about it, and now want to blame the person that you bought from (he didn't take your money... you gave it to him... subtle but important difference)

Stick around here... learn, learn, and then learn some more...

THEN start buying expense coins.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but getting really tired of people crying foul after trying to run before they learn to walk - and then trying to blame someone else.
This is a very (non-financially) rewarding hobby, but like anything worth while it requires an investment. Anyone can invest money, this hobby only works out if you invest your time (well... ok... time and a bunch of money!)

Edited by Wade
06/19/2019 11:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
791 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Centsles has been a topic of discussion on this forum for years. None of that discussion paints Centsles in a good light.

He's a busy beaver. He's been a frequent topic of discussion in lawsuits, in print and on other forums, too.
Valued Member
Canada
276 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good points Wade. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve negative feedback, I'm just saying he will probably just get it removed because he really isn't violating any of eBay's policies.
Valued Member
Canada
408 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While we are in the same topic...anyone knows what is the reason for ancient coins slabbed by nnc show actual grade and other modern coins do not?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2356 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is similar to the guy that owns CAC.

By his own admission, he buys and sells coins with CAC stickers on them.

Now if that's not a conflict of interest, I don't know what is.

There is nothing similar to CAC's business and the eBay seller Centless. CAC sticker's coins that they are interested in purchasing. CAC stickers NGC and PCGS coins that are high end of grade for a fee. JA the owner of CAC is an honest and expert grader, and he was one of the founders of both PCGS and NGC. CAC buys and sells sticker coins to dealers. CAC business is not set up to buy and sell coins from the general public. If a collector went to CAC to sell their sticker coins, CAC would most likely make an offer to purchase. A novice collector buying a CAC sticker coin is getting some protection that the example is high end of grade and problem free. A novice buying a coin from Centless is getting ripped off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8943 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a tough lesson @Chip Schleichard, while you may be out several hundreds of dollars consider yourself lucky to see the light now. There are many ebay buyers out there with still no clue after hundreds of transactions with this seller. Just think what they are out...
FWIW, I learned my lesson via this site shortly after I joined. I started buying Peace and Morgan dollars from centsles many years ago that were in small ANACS holders and moved to NNC clown suit plastic shortly there after. I look at it as @Westernsky stated tuition....

Welcome to the club....
Member SSDC, TNA
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05