Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 UK Half Crown Silver.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8987 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  12:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Guys .
Can you please rate this coin.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dorado
06/20/2019 1:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5184 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dorado

It's seen very little circulation. The 50% silver coins of 1920-27 are usually very weakly struck and it's common for there to be relatively few visible hairlines on George V's head, while the 'I' of 'Honi' and 'P' of 'Pense' on the garter legend, and the centre of the shield on the reverse, are also weak points. The traces of black between the R and G of 'Georgivs' on the obverse and 'Mal' on the reverse perhaps indicate a dipping or cleaning at some stage. I'd say EF, allowing for the usual weak strike. These coins are seldom seen so nice, as collectors tended to hoard the pre-1920 92.5% silver ones, and the halfcrowns of the early 1920s remained in circulation for 40 years or so, getting very worn and often having patches of copper showing through as The Royal Mint hadn't perfected a way of making the 50% silver alloy mixture.
New Zealand
25 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2019  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous piece.

I agree with the above about the weak strike but would say its more AU than EF, nice lustre and only very light rubbing. The moustache is fully defined too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
747 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the halfcrowns of the early 1920s remained in circulation for 40 years or so, getting very worn and often having patches of copper showing through as The Royal Mint hadn't perfected a way of making the 50% silver alloy mixture.

Rob - can you perhaps elaborate on the silver alloy of these coins? I was always under the assumption that the 50% content was consistent throughout the coin - as opposed to being plated, or silver clad like our US 40% Kennedy halves. But if copper shows through with wear, maybe that isn't the case?
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1924; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (Great Britain)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17001 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-50 but I think it has been cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5184 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry - just noticed I had never responded to hcmusicguy's post above!

The alloy of 1920-46 UK silver coins was always 50% silver, but according to a number of catalogues I've read, the proportion of other metals changed three times in the 1920s until a suitable alloy was found:

1920-22: 50% silver, 40% copper, 10% nickel
1922-27: 50% silver, 50% copper
1927-46: 50% silver, 40% copper, 5% nickel, 5% zinc
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
38036 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55, appears dipped.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05