Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just Added This Rare Augustus Denarius

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1215 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2019  5:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have been looking for one of these for 2 years. I already have the Tiberius quadriga denarius.

Since I found out about this Augustus I have wanted one because it features Tiberius as Caesar in the quadriga on the reverse. The interesting thing about the coin I bought is that it is misattributed. The description on Naville claims it is RIC 222 (R). However, if you look closely you can see that 2 of the horses are looking in the opposite direction. The coin is in fact RIC 224 (R2).

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Learn More...
United States
22484 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2019  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on find this rare coin. I no longer collect Roman coins but I would still love to add this one to my collection.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12469 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2019  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2 of the horses are looking in the opposite direction.

Yes interesting coin--any idea on why the die was cut in this way?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2051 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2019  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great coin, congratulations!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1482 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2019  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin orfew !..

The fact the horses are looking in different diretions (like horses do)..has more movement and really makes the picture more lifelike...Whereas the Tiberius you acquired a couple of years ago (I think) although rare and a great looking coin too is much more simplified...

Super coin congrats on the new addition.......Paul
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16329 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2019  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a sweet find. Congratulations.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1215 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2019  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for the kind comments.

@Spence
I have no idea why the dies were cut this way.For RIC 222 all the horses are looking ahead. Was this an adjustment by a couple of engravers, or was there some imperial influence? Interesting to think about but we will never know for sure.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12469 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes well I agree with @palouche that for sure it makes the scene look more life-like. I was just wondering if there was a deeper meaning like a political undertone.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05