Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Domitian Denarius With Aegis

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 510Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1253 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  11:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been actively looking for Domitian denarii with the CENS POT reverse legend. They are all rare coins and do not show up very often. I absolutely love the portraits on these issues. Imho they are of fine style.

The other type I have been looking for features the CENS POT reverse legend and Aegis on the obverse portrait. The use of Aegis on denarii of Domitian is also rare.

I am thrilled that I was able to find one of these.

Domitian, 81-96. Denarius 85 CE Fourth Issue
(Silver, 20 mm, 3.32 g, 6 h), Rome.
Obv: IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM P M TR P IIII Laureate head of Domitian to right, wearing aegis.
Rev. IMP VIIII COS XI CENS POT P P Minerva standing front, head to left, holding thunderbolt in her right hand and a spear in her left; behind her, shield.
BMC 79. Cohen 178 var. (without aegis). RIC 336 (R2).
Leu Numismatic E-Auction 8 Lot 1038 June 30, 2019.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
United States
4880 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fine style indeed. Good score.
Learn More...
United States
22976 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  11:59 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a beauty.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2086 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice denarius! Is the aegis on his chest and at the back of his neck? It almost looks like there is a little face on it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1253 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Look at the front of the bust near the neck truncation near the legend. You will see a little face.

Thanks to all for the kind comments.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5868 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful portrait!
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
941 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It almost looks like there is a little face on it.

The little face is a gorgon. Don't look directly at it. The last thing the moderators need is a forum member who has turned to stone!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegis
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 510Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05